Frequent Contributor

I was diagnosed  ith the disease  called TINUNITIS,I hear sounds  from my head and ears 24rs. a day. some days good and some bad. My ENT doctor took tests hearing

and MRI all normal. was told there is no cure for this.its horrible wouldnot wish this on anyone.

anybody else have this and how they deal with it.

Honored Contributor

Welcome to the club.

You'll get used to it.  

Mine started in 2006. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, long-standing case.

What is the weirdest is that every so often, it just stops cold for a couple of minutes.  Sound of silence.....

I also have fun pressing on the top of my head to turn up the volume.

You could amuse yourself checking for your volume button.

Trusted Contributor

Yes; I believe it is Tinnitus.  I have had it for almost 40 years.  At first it bothered me a lot, but now I just sort of hear "over" it.  Mine is a high-pitched siren or scream.  I'm not sure if the sound can vary by person.  My dad had it too.

Honored Contributor

@forego wrote:

I was diagnosed  ith the disease  called TINUNITIS,I hear sounds  from my head and ears 24rs. a day. some days good and some bad. My ENT doctor took tests hearing

and MRI all normal. was told there is no cure for this.its horrible wouldnot wish this on anyone.

There are many threads on the topic that you can avail yourself of.  I have had hearing loss and tinnitus for probaby 15 yrs. I have great aids for the loss and they helped the tinnitus for awhile, but eliminating sugar and refined carbs from my diet made a huge difference.  No more whooshing and ringing when I try to fall asleep.  I drift off pretty easily now. 

Respected Contributor

A few years ago during a PCP visit, I happened to mention that recently as DH and I were falling asleep, I wondered aloud why the birds were singing at this hour of night.

He turned and said: There are no birds singing.  Ok: my doctor kept quizzing me on the sound, direction, volume, etc.

Truly, the sound is as though you were walking through the forest in springtime and birds were singing. Not crickets, just birds.

it is a very peaceful sound....sometimes I don't even notice it,  but it is there.  I hesitate to call it tinnitus: I cannot imagine what life is like for those with some of the sounds described in this post.  It must be maddening.

I'll take the birds anytime...it is calming.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@forego wrote:

There are many threads on the topic that you an avail yourself of.  I had it for years.  Hearing aides helped but eliminating sugar and refined carbs from my diet made a huge difference.  No more whooshing and ringing when I try to fall asleep.  

@forego  Yes, per @JeanLouiseFinch  you should check out the other threads. Mine came from an autoimmune reaction similar to bell's palsy that killed the nerves in my ear. Hearing aids won't work on me. I'm used to it by now. Jet engines and sometimes news broadcasters.

Honored Contributor

The tinnitus sounds I hear sound like a car idling and then sometimes I hear a loud single clap....that kind scares me and I flinch. But most of the time I hear a steady hissing.

Respected Contributor

I have suffered with tinnitus for many years.  There are several causes, and lots of different noises and volumes.  Mine is like a loud teapot, mostly a mettalic hissing.  It gets very loud when I have the TV on, but it's almost silent when I am outdoors.  It gets louder/softer when I turn my head. There are lots of snake oil "cures" out there, but no proven cure. 

Frequent Contributor

Thankyou all. my sound is a hissing noise.sometimes really loud.

I heard some people go to a nerologists and  try to re program your brain

what ever that means.