Super Contributor

I have thyroid nodules for the past few years.  Every year I get an ultrasound to watch them.  They look like they stayed the same size.

This year, the Endricologist called me back to do a biopsy.  She said she did not see anything alarming, but there was a small "something" there.

I did biopsy last week, all she said was that it takes a week for results to come back.

Well, today the receptionist called, and said the results came back, and they wanted to set up an appt. to go over the results.

My anxiety is thru the roof, to put it mildly.

I would think, if there was nothing to worry about, why would they set up appt?  Well she did say, no matter what, they would probably be keeping a watch on it. 

She also said a small amount of cases come back "inconclusive".

So I dont know what to think!! 

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick . QVC chick if I were you I would call the Dr. back and tell the receptionist that I wanted to speak with the Dr. today. Most likely this appointment is to go over your results and decide what to do or to just keep an eye on things. Because she is scheduling a followup appointment it does not necessarily mean bad news. This is probably the way things are done. Don't doctors who call a patient on a Friday and tell them to make an appointment for next week to go over test results not get that this causes anxiety and many people will worry themselves sick over the weekend?   

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick 

You have been doing the right thing with the ultra sounds.  I understand that waiting for the appointment to go over the results is worrisome.  However, by getting all worked up now, you cannot change the results.  You are wasting mental, physical and emotional energy which is not very good.

If something is there, you will take care of it.  Caught early, problems with the thyroid can be dealt with by surgery to remove the problem.  Thyroid medication can replace the thyroid.

My SIL had gone in for a mammogram and when the doctor saw the side of her neck said never mind the mammogram results, we need to biopsy the thyroid.  She had it removed and is taking Synthroid. She is doing fine.

Please try to stay calm during the waiting...you and your doctor will handle whatever needs to be done.  Thoughts and prayers for your well being !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Call the doctor’s office to express your worries. See if they’ll tell you anything. As someone who got the worst news in 2008, ten days after I retired, I can tell you that the good news is I am fine, as are 98% of my fellow former papillary cancer patients. That is the worst case scenario. I had a positive result, had a complete thyroidectomy, got the post surgical treatment, started my meds, and never looked back. I am checked once a year. So even if the worst happens, and the worst may not happen, the odds are that everything will be AOK.

Highlighted
Contributor

Don't freak out. I have had the same condition for most of my life. So far it hasn't turned cancerous. My doctor told me years ago that if you have to get cancer this is the best one to get. It is easily curable and very, very few people ever die from it. Lots of doctors won't give results over the phone but I think that should be up to the patient. After a breast biopsy a wonderful doctor told me that he gets resutls right away to his patients because he might never lose her to cancer but might to a heart attack from worry. 

Super Contributor

Please don't worry.   I know that is easier said then done.   I have thyroid nodules and my doctor always has me schedule an appointment to go over the biopsy or ultrasound results.   I don't know why the doctor can't give the results over the phone.   Really would lessen anxiety levels and save time.

Honored Contributor

Don't upset yourself for no reason.  They have to give you the results in person, negative or positve.  They can't disclose protected health information over the phone.  

Trusted Contributor
Thyroid is one of the easiest things to treat.👍
Super Contributor

Yes, trying not to worry, but I have anxiety on the best of days.

I don't know many people with thryoid cancer, so its scary when you don't know much about it. 

Just praying for good news.

Honored Contributor

I friend who is physician told me once that if you have to have cancer, pray that it is thryroid cancer.  That's because the cure rate is 98%.  I'm certainly praying that you don't have it but if you do it's entirely curable and since you have been under surveillance, it would be in it's earliest stage.  Just breathe, relax, keep things in perspective until you have your physician visit.