Esteemed Contributor

Re: THIS FRUIT CAN REDUCE BAD CHOLESTEROL

Avocados are good to eat and healthy, but no cure all for an otherwise bad diet. I do order one every week since there is just me.  Usually with a lime.

Respected Contributor

I have an avocado tree.  I have several other fruit trees, too.  "Ripe for the picking."  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

I love avocados! Probably 98% of the ones I buy are perfect on the inside.  I always buy the ones with dark green skins (not deep green) and that give slightly when pressed with my thumb.  They need to be used within a day or two of buying.  I never buy the ones that are hard.

I have avocado toast a couple times a week and always dice one to put in tacos.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure the Avacado Growers want us to believe that.  I would only believed it if it came from reliable medical source.   While I don't know if the lower LDL, avocados are incredibly healthy.  Rich in nutrients, healthy fats, they support the immune system. I just don't like the taste. I have tried to eat then in various ways, they just aren't for me.

Honored Contributor

I eat them often.  I will sometimes just slice one in half and add a bit of balsamic vinegar to it.  Or occasionally make some guacamole but try to not eat too many chips!  LOL!  

So far I've had pretty good luck with getting good avocados.  I try to get them when they are very firm, let them sit out for a few days then refrigerate.  They usually aren't brown.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sure the Avacado Growers want us to believe that.  I would only believed it if it came from reliable medical source.   While I don't know if the lower LDL, avocados are incredibly healthy.  Rich in nutrients, healthy fats, they support the immune system. I just don't like the taste. I have tried to eat then in various ways, they just aren't for me.

@chrystaltree 

As I posted in my original post, the article was in a health newsletter.  People are always free to investigate more thoroughly.  I don't think the avocado growers are trying to pull a fast one on you.

Most people who are concerned about how their diets affect their health are already familiar with foods that have "healthy fats" in them and what that means.  

Honored Contributor

This is interesting. Thanks @Tinkrbl44

When I was in elementary school I watched my dad come home for lunch daily. Mom would have his lunch waiting: half an avocado on a lettuce leaf with French dressing. Of course back then I thought "yuck," but now I think maybe he was on to something!   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

When I was in elementary school I watched my dad come home for lunch daily. Mom would have his lunch waiting: half an avocado on a lettuce leaf with French dressing. Of course back then I thought "yuck," but now I think maybe he was on to something!   Smiley Wink

@beach-mom 

Even if someone doesn't like to eat avocados plain, there's a lot of things that can be done with it. 

If I were going to chop up chunks of an avocado to eat as a side dish vegetable, I would drizzle either Italian Dressing or salsa over it.   Fresh, healthy and very tasty. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@beach-mom 

Even if someone doesn't like to eat avocados plain, there's a lot of things that can be done with it. 

If I were going to chop up chunks of an avocado to eat as a side dish vegetable, I would drizzle either Italian Dressing or salsa over it.   Fresh, healthy and very tasty. 

So true @Tinkrbl44! I love them! DH's dip is my favorite way to have them, but I put them in salads all of the time- I like them in salads with blue cheese crumbles. We also have them in Mexican food dishes as a side. If someone offered me one right now I would not say no!  LOL!   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SloopJohnB 

Lucky you!

Are they hard to grow?