Respected Contributor

Re: THIS FRUIT CAN REDUCE BAD CHOLESTEROL

I've read a couple of studies that say that a diet rich in high glucoraphanin broccoli reduces LCL-C.  Some say raw sprouts, other say it doesn't matter if broccoli is cooked.  Whatever your gut can process I suppose.

Honored Contributor

The ONLY way I will eat avocado is in guacamole, which I love!

Regular Contributor

@Justholdingon. I have found when buying avocado, select fruit that has part of stem still attached. If there is no stem and stem end is soft, the fruit begins to deteriorate quickly. I think I saw this on Martha Stewart program.  I select firm fruit and allow to slightly soten on countertop then wrap each individually with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for no more than 3 days. 

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

The ONLY way I will eat avocado is in guacamole, which I love!

@Love my grandkids  Going for some tonight along with a margarita. Yum.

Respected Contributor

I have never liked avocado...taste like cold crea, to me😬d

Honored Contributor

@Justholdingon wrote:

the problem with buying avocados is you never know if they're good inside until you open them. Many times it looks good on the outside, but when you cut them open, it's all brown and spoiled. It's often a waste of money. 
live tried all these different tips on how to tell a good one from a bad one , but it doesn't always work, so I just stay away from them now.

@Justholdingon   @BlueFinch 

Forget the "tips".  I just go to my favorite guy in the produce dept and ask him to pick me out two of the best avocados in the display.   I always go home with really good ones.  

Contributor

My understanding is this holds if you are replacing butter, etc with avocado as opposed to simply adding it to your diet.

As for selecting a good one look at the stem end. If it's already brown skip it. Buying a little underripe and waiting for it to ripen is also good.

Honored Contributor

Me no likey avacado. Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

Love avocados!  Born and raised in California when I lived in a neighborhood that had many avocado trees.  Pick your fruit with a nice color, very slight give.  When you get them home put them in a brown paper bag on your counter.  Check on them often and when the fruit becomes softer, it's most likely ripe.  I make guacamole all the time (can't get enough) and this works for me. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Me no likey avacado. Woman Tongue

Me neither....DW