Esteemed Contributor

Re: Synthroid vs. generics: Worth the difference in cost?

People can react badly to the non-active ingredients used by different pharmaceutical houses. Different binders, fillers, colors, etc. I believe that's what happens to me when I use a different brand's generic levo other than Sandoz.

With Synthroid my labs were always just within the low end of normal limits. If they increased my dosage a notch, it went too high. So I was left to deal with with some hypothyroid symptoms even though I took Synthroid daily.

I Hated Taking Synthroid.

Respected Contributor

I was told to take brand name 37 years ago.  The MD told me that for consistency in dosage I should take synthroid. 

For the first time last month I tried L thyroxine. It is so much better for me. No muscle spasms or soreness in neck.

Everyone is different. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I also had taken the iodine pill to get rid of my thyroid.  I was put on Tapazole until the thyroid was completely gone.  Then.........

The doctor started me on Levoxyl, which I took for months, maybe years.  I don't remember since this was about 20 years ago.  Then, I remember Levoxyl wasn't available for some reason and they changed me to Levothyroxine.  It was always the same drug mfr. (Mylan).  I am on Levothyroxine to this day.

I take 75 Mcg on Mon, Wed, and Fri and 50 Mcg on Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun.  I have never had any side effects or problems of any kind to this day.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie, interesting about having to take Tapezole.  It's a drug used for HYPERthyroidism.  I used to have to give it to my cat.  I guess it was used to just burn what was left of your thyroid out.

Trusted Contributor

The two endocrinologists I have seen both said name brand only. However, Synthroid has a long history of potency issues also. 

Since my total thyroidectomy, I’ve not been able to use Synthroid. I can’t convert it into T3. Ive ended up on Tirisint, which is a gel, and doesn’t contain the binders that are in tablets. 

I also use Cytomel, which is T3. I can’t use the generic form of that either. Tried switching and crashed in less than a week.  

The active ingredients in thyroid hormones are the same, but the binders and fillers are different, between the name brands and the generic. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

@Sherrylwrote:

I tried generic brands of thyroid medicine and none of them worked for me. I take Armour Thyroid medication (insurance companies do not cover this one). The generic medicines are not all alike. I tried many of them.  I would suggest that you take the one that works best for you. 

@Sherryl ..... Hi ..... I have been taking Armour Thyroid since 1992 & yes, my insurance does not pay for it .... I would rather pay than take a generic drug .... I will never take Generics .... they are NOT the same!!!

Question ... do you know why the insurance companies don’t pay for Armour Thyroid?  THANKS 😃

Esteemed Contributor

@cherrywrote:

The only thing I can take is Armour a natural thyroid from cows and pigs. All the lab  made stuff makes me terribly sick

@cherry ...... me too... I can only take Armour Thyroid 

Trusted Contributor

I have been on levothyroxin for a couple of years . I had a lot of nausea initially, but now no problems taking it.

Occasional Contributor

@January121: You asked why Armour thyroid is not covered under insurance. The reason the insurance company gave me was that it is no longer considered a prescription drug even thou you need a prescription for it. They consider it an "alternative" medicine. Another writer posted that it is made from natural ingredients and it is. Armour Thyroid medicine was one of the first medicines for this disease. It is the only one that works for my T3. Many people have tried to get Armour reclassified back to a prescription drug but so far no change.

Respected Contributor

My doc's another one who says Synthroid only, no generic.  So every 3 months I plunk down $100+ for my 90 days supply of Synthroid.