Honored Contributor

Re: Synthroid has dangerous additives in it?

@LilacTree wrote:

I did get a response from the poster from the other forum.  She said she got the info from the “FDA.” I wouldn’t even begin to know how to start that search.  I’ll try that tomorrow.  Too tired tonight.

@LilacTree Funny she didn't give you a link to the info.  But, I'll give you one.  However, if you notice it says the danger is from overdosing and the 1st 2 ingredients are the active ingredients:  https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002592.htm

FYI, rxlist.com lists all the inactive ingredients in Synthroid (they are possibly different for the generic Levothyroxine) as:  

Inactive Ingredients

Acacia, confectioner's sugar (contains corn starch), lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, and talc. The following are the color additives by tablet strength.  

There is a table following the inactive ingredients listing the different color additives according to the tablet strength.  The link to that article is:  https://www.rxlist.com/synthroid-drug.htm#description

I suppose some or all of the FD&C colors might be considered dangerous?

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't take or even listen to crack point medical junk like that.  If I read something in legitimate medical journals or on legitimate medical websites and I have questions, I ask my physicians at the next visit or I email them.   And no.  It is NOT a rule that as we age, our medication scripts should be lowered.  That makes no sense whatsoever.  It is true that as we age, our phycians should monitor us and if NECESSARY adust our medicactions.  Sometimes a medication script will be lowered but sometimes, they have prescribe more of the medication to account for the aging process.  And sometimes, they will switch to another drug entirely that is proven to be more effective in an older demographic.  I take Levothyroxine and I will for the rest of my life and my endocrinologist orders a thyroid panel 3 times a year.  

Honored Contributor

As long as my Dr. prescribes it for me, I will take it!  I had my thyroid removed with radio-active iodine about 20 yrs. ago, and been taking ever since, levels are checked every 6 mos., and I will be taking for the rest of my life, my sister too!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@@LilacTree wrote:

A poster in another forum I participate in has claimed she and her husband have taken themselves off all meds and they are doing great.  They both have autoimmune issues. That didn’t bother me, as I’ve seen it before.

What did peak my interest is she said she has stopped taking her thyroid med (Synthroid, the med I’ve been taking  for 30 years) and she’s doing great without it.  I researched this and couldn’t find anything specific.  She said it has “additives” in it that she believes caused her autoimmune diseases in the first place.

I asked her for her source and so far she hasn’t answered me.  I was always told I have to take Synthroid for the rest of my life, as a diabetic has to have insulin.  And since hypothyroidism was the first autoimmune disease I got, Synthroid was the first med I was given also.

Just wondering if any of you on a thyroid med have ever heard of this.  At the very least I’m going to ask my RA doc to do a thorough thyroid panel on me the next time I see her.  One of the things I did learn in my research was that as we age, our prescription strength should be lowered.

I’ve never worried about my thyroid before, and oddly none of my docs have either.

@LilacTree  The poster was correct. The ingredients in synthyroid are:  Each lilac, round, colour-coded, scored tablet, debossed with "SYNTHROID" on one side and potency on the other side contains levothyroxine sodium, USP 175 µg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: acacia, confectioner's sugar, D&C Red No. 27 & D&C Red No. 30, FD&C Blue No. 1, lactose, magnesium stearate, povidone, and talc.  

Povidone, according to the National Institute of Health (NIH), government website -

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+6831

“causes SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS/ Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism may occur after ingestion or absorption of large quantities. Hypothyroidism has occurred as a result of absorption of iodine from povidone-iodine.

There is much more on that page regarding thyroid disorders and other diseases caused by povidone. Talc is also in Synthyroid and is now being studied as a possible carcinogen since the recent ruling against Johnson and Johnson. 

It’s very odd that the drug they treat your thyroid disease with, contains an additive that causes thyroid disease. It pays to check out ingredients in everything these days.  Sad that we have to do that, but it comes with the times we live in.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ketra wrote:

@@LilacTree wrote:

A poster in another forum I participate in has claimed she and her husband have taken themselves off all meds and they are doing great.  They both have autoimmune issues. That didn’t bother me, as I’ve seen it before.

What did peak my interest is she said she has stopped taking her thyroid med (Synthroid, the med I’ve been taking  for 30 years) and she’s doing great without it.  I researched this and couldn’t find anything specific.  She said it has “additives” in it that she believes caused her autoimmune diseases in the first place.

I asked her for her source and so far she hasn’t answered me.  I was always told I have to take Synthroid for the rest of my life, as a diabetic has to have insulin.  And since hypothyroidism was the first autoimmune disease I got, Synthroid was the first med I was given also.

Just wondering if any of you on a thyroid med have ever heard of this.  At the very least I’m going to ask my RA doc to do a thorough thyroid panel on me the next time I see her.  One of the things I did learn in my research was that as we age, our prescription strength should be lowered.

I’ve never worried about my thyroid before, and oddly none of my docs have either.

@LilacTree  The poster was correct. The ingredients in synthyroid are:  Each lilac, round, colour-coded, scored tablet, debossed with "SYNTHROID" on one side and potency on the other side contains levothyroxine sodium, USP 175 µg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: acacia, confectioner's sugar, D&C Red No. 27 & D&C Red No. 30, FD&C Blue No. 1, lactose, magnesium stearate, povidone, and talc.  

Povidone, according to the National Institute of Health (NIH), government website -

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+6831

“causes SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS/ Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism may occur after ingestion or absorption of large quantities. Hypothyroidism has occurred as a result of absorption of iodine from povidone-iodine.

There is much more on that page regarding thyroid disorders and other diseases caused by povidone. Talc is also in Synthyroid and is now being studied as a possible carcinogen since the recent ruling against Johnson and Johnson. 

It’s very odd that the drug they treat your thyroid disease with, contains an additive that causes thyroid disease. It pays to check out ingredients in everything these days.  Sad that we have to do that, but it comes with the times we live in.

@Ketra Good points about looking at ingredients!

There's a difference though between "povidone-iodine" (Betadine solution antiseptic, a chemical complex of povidone, hydrogen iodide, and elemental iodine) and "povidone" .

Your info and link is about the antiseptic povidone-iodine solution not about the single ingredient additive in Synthroid which is "povidone".

Re talc, wasn't that about inhaling it or using large amounts on skin and "private areas"? Ita tho we need to be careful.💗

@LilacTree So very very GREAT 👍 to see you posting more! Hope you're feeling better.💗

Respected Contributor

I've beem on generic levo for a good 15 yrs. Synthroid gave me severe headaches, so i was switched to a levothyroxine generic.

two months ago  pharmacy  switched me !!Surprise!!!~ to Mylan's generic because they said they can no longer get the other generic i was on, Lannet.  no warning beforehand.  i have been around and around with them on two specific generics i take, one being the levo. i even had to switch pharmacies, they only care about ordering from the cheapest distributors. they know with hormone generics that the active ingredient has to be  right on the nose.

Now since starting this mylan generic, my hair is falling out again, i feel fuzzy in the morning v.the other brand which was activating for me in the AM.  i no longer have the insomnia that i had (which is good) but pre-thyroid dx  fatigue is back

on the plus side with the mylan generic my skin is no longer an oil slick and my hair is no longer so oily - i can go 4 days without shampooing v.daily,  which makes me wonder about the strength and binders of the Lannet med. Cannot seem to find its' inactive list.

But the list of Mylan "inert" ingredients ? these look like things that should not be ingested:

inactive Ingredients:

butylated hydroxyanisole BHA
silicon dioxide
magnesium stearate
mannitol (this was banned in france) Hair loss
microcrystalline cellulose
sodium lauryl sulfate ? a detergent!
sucrose ? why?

i suppose the percentage is so tiny in these tablets, yet it makes me question the reason for these chemicals.

Trusted Contributor

My doctor put me on the generic name, as Levothyroxine. I don't take it under any other trade name.