Valued Contributor

Swollen lymph nodes, sore throat...?

[ Edited ]

Any experience with how long swollen glands in neck, also swollen lips can last?  One week now, went to urgent care last week...not strep throat, told a virus.   Concerned how long swelling may last...I really thought I had tonsillitis, and would be prescribed antibiotics...but no.  Been doing normal things, salt water gargle, lots of water,   advil.

I hate being sick!

Honored Contributor

Re: Swollen lymph nodes, sore throat...?

What concerns me is the swollen lips.... I've never experienced that aspect and didn't know it was part of the virus.

I have always gotten strep throat with swollen lympth nodes on and off my entire life and they would take a swab to determine if it's bacterial.  It always is for me and they prescribe antibiotics.  I've never had viral strep throat (and antibiotics would not work on a virus)....

Unforltunately the virus has to run its course.... maybe two weeks?

Hope you feel 100% better very quickly.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@barb40 wrote:

Any experience with how long swollen glands in neck, also swollen lips can last?  One week now, went to urgent care last week...not strep throat, told a virus.   Concerned how long swelling may last...I really thought I had tonsillitis, and would be prescribed antibiotics...but no.  Been doing normal things, salt water gargle, lots of water,   advil.

I hate being sick!

Hope you feel better soon!!

Honored Contributor

My advice is to give it 10 days, then follow up with your physician.   Recovering from a viral illness takes time, but my experiences with my children's viral illnesses has been that secondary issues often present after a few days that do require followup, and intervention.  

Because this is a viral illness, make sure you wipe down all surfaces with bleach wipes; one wipe to each surface.   New toothbrush and toothpaste.  Toss any lip balm you might have been using, as it is very easy to reinfect yourself, and keep the virus growing within your body.   

Hope you feel better soon.   

Respected Contributor

You mentioned swollen lips and that suggests to me it is an allergy.

Hope you feel well soon!

Trusted Contributor

@barb40 wrote:

I hate being sick!

I was sick years ago with a virus that just stuck around for awhile. It started out with cold symptoms, and then I ended up with pneumonia from it.

It then decided to affect the nerves in my mouth and lips. That part of it was really strange, too. It had affected my tongue, where my tongue had swelled and had become enlarged. 

It went away after awhile on its own. 

Honored Contributor

@barb40, you may want to see another doctor for another opinion. Doctors are after all, just human.

Trusted Contributor

I started with this virus NY eve, still have traces.  My lips didn't swell but were very unbelievably chapped.  I hope you feel better soon. It's not a fun thing. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies!   Today is the first day I feel mostly normal...I think this virus just got hung up in my lymph nodes instead of showing up as actual cold symptoms.  Mainly just had the sore throat.  Thanks again for your input!

Super Contributor

GOOGLE

"swollen glands in neck" and  "swollen lips"

good luck !

https://www.google.com/search?q=swollen+glands+in+neck%2C+also+swollen+lips&oq=swollen+glands+in+nec...

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK