Honored Contributor

Re: Surprising Facts About Pulses You May Not Know

@chessylady wrote:

I belong to the Rancho Gordo Bean Club located in the Napa Valley. Four times a year I get a box of beans, many of them heirloom and limited. I am having fun trying different kinds of beans and getting ideas and recipes in the Club Facebook page.

@chessylady

I’ve heard so many good things about Rancho Gordo beans.

That’s it....I’m going to order some.

Any tips/suggestions?

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady

Sounds like we are thinking the same things. Lifestyle/Exercise/Food Choices/Heart Health(even though a part of mine has little function)/Mental Health. Most of all, we are doing these things, not just thinking /typing/wishing, and talking about them.

Genetics caught up with me at age 62, in spite of my many years of living the healthiest way I knew how, while still enjoying my life. You can change many of the Major Cardiac Risk Factors, but changing a parent? Not 1 of them.

Stay well and keep on keeping on,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut  Thanks for your kind words. I have my own health issues which began shortly after birth (epilepsy). Have been determined to live as normal life as possible. Did everything I was told would never be possible! (So much stigma in 1948! And Old Wives Tales.) Mom and my sister never were comfortable with my seizures.  (I've always been  outgoing, independent and knew what I wanted in life.) Mom thought I should be a teacher or nurse to avoid foreign languages and calc classes! Nope. Dad was a jewel and encouraged me to do it my way. I graduated HS mid-term and began Uni. in January at 17!

At 51, thought I was going in for a routine check up. My PCP had all paperwork completed for Disability. (He had tried to encourage me to apply for about 4 years; I ignored him.) Anyway, I never returned to work. My husband cleaned out my office. It was devestating, but I really needed to stay in bed to regain my health. During the next few years a couple more health issues were diagnosed (diabetes and lupus); more meds and additional side effects. It's been a long journey. Husband's death, mom's dementia of 14 years and death last summer. The last 20 years have been a long journey full of love and more education than ever anticipated. It's been rewarding in so many more ways than sad; life goes on and kindness is all around when least expected. 

I'm finally enjoying life again without stress and my health has improved within the last six months. Never dreamed I'd have the energy for the ballet lessons (even if my balance isn't what it used to be and I'm not nearly as graceful as in younger days!). Deriving so much joy in life again from simple things. My family, home, yard and flowerbeds, swimming and ballet, and time with some friends who have stood the test of time. This is a life well lived; no regrets.

Meeting you has brought additional pleasure. You continue to mentor me and I'm so grateful. Sometime we'll visit about our Omaha roots. We're both native Nebraskan's. Perhaps that's why we believe in healthy living.  Have an enjoyable day (rainy days and sunshine make me smile).     

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sidsmom you can't go wrong with any bean, get what you like. I liked the San Francisciano and the Alubia Blanco. They also sell a Pineapple vinegar that I have been wanting to order.

Valued Contributor

Sorry but I just can't resist ..."Beans -Beans the musical fruit ,the more you eat the more you toot!

cathy from ma,