Honored Contributor

Re: Surgery in my eye for a spot suspicious of Melanoma

They will give you something to deal with your anxiety and the procedure itself won't bother you one bit.  I've only had cataract surgery, but I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, I think my doctor is great, he is new to me because my old Ophthalmologist had back surgery and had to retire. 

I am mostly anxious about the procedure itself, but like people posted here, eye surgery seems to go very smooth. I just could not imagine laying there with someone cutting my eye but he has reassured me. 

I live in NE Florida so he said if it is Melanoma, I am either going to Mayo in Jacksonville, Fl or the University of Florida in Gainesville. He told me that most likely it is benign. I will let you all know how it went. The surgery in on the 15th. I get to stay home from work for 9 days. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt wrote:

I am having surgery on 2/15, the spot is on my conjunctiva, I have sun damage and an irregular small pigmented spot in the sun damaged area. I had 2 choices, #1 to go to see my Ophthalmologist every 2 months for him to monitor the spot, or have it taken out and biopsied. I opted to have it taken out. 

I am a little nervous about the procedure but figure it is similar to other surgeries on the eye, although I never had surgery on my eye. Luckily, the spot is not in the pigmented portion of my eye. 

He will excise to spot out with the margin and apply a amniotic graft to help with healing and scarring. 

I trust my doctor, I know he is well trained and is an expert at detecting Melanoma. The spot was found on my routine eye exam.

He said most likely, it is benign but we will not know until it is biopsied. 

@conlt 
Absolutely the right decision.  My dear friend had a spot on her eye and one of the leading doctors had her come back every three months for a checkup.  It ended up being melanoma that traveled to her liver.  She passed from liver cancer last summer.  No question you are taking the right step.  You will be just find in the hands of the Doctor you trust.

Respected Contributor

That is terrible, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. The doctor told me the only way to know for sure is if the spot is biopsied, so that is what I decided to do. He did say the spot is so small the most I would probably need if it is Melanoma is a chemo eye drop. 

He also told me that if I was his mother, that he would tell me to have the surgery. 

Honored Contributor

I think that you did the right thing by getting rid of the spot now. You will know for sure if it's benign or not, you are catching it early, if it's malignant, and itwont be something creating anxiety for you for years while you sit there wondering every day about it. Best of luck with this.

Honored Contributor

@conlt  I hope your surgery yesterday went smoothly and you're fine and on the mend.  Let us know how your doing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@conlt  Have you returned to the surgeon? Is the patch removed? How are you feeling? What is the prognosis? Hope everything is going as planned and you are feeling well. Please let us know at your convenience. We care!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Update on my surgery. I had the surgery on Tuesday and it went well. I am 2 days post-op. I am tired and my eye is sore and swollen. It feels like someone did something to it. Tylenol and Alleve take care of the discomfort. I have 4 stitches in my eye holding the amniotic graft and glue. 

I saw my doctor yesterday and he said everything looks great. The pathology will be back next week. I see the doctor again on Wednesday. 

Thank you all for your prayers, and kind thoughts. I really appreciate your kindness. 

Trusted Contributor

@conlt

So glad the surgery is behind you & doctor said everything looks great. I've been following this thread & hoping for the best.👍
Respected Contributor

@conlt - So glad you are done with the surgery and on your way to recovery.  Hope and pray that everything goes perfectly from this moment forward. Praying for you, too. You are so brave, and so proactive.