Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Surgery in my eye for a spot suspicious of Melanoma

[ Edited ]

I am having surgery on 2/15, the spot is on my conjunctiva, I have sun damage and an irregular small pigmented spot in the sun damaged area. I had 2 choices, #1 to go to see my Ophthalmologist every 2 months for him to monitor the spot, or have it taken out and biopsied. I opted to have it taken out. 

I am a little nervous about the procedure but figure it is similar to other surgeries on the eye, although I never had surgery on my eye. Luckily, the spot is not in the pigmented portion of my eye. 

He will excise to spot out with the margin and apply a amniotic graft to help with healing and scarring. 

I trust my doctor, I know he is well trained and is an expert at detecting Melanoma. The spot was found on my routine eye exam.

He said most likely, it is benign but we will not know until it is biopsied. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Surgery in my eye for a spot suspicious of Melanoma

@conlt I know that having any procedure is worrisome, but I am wishing you much success in the removal and recovery. Your prognosis sounds very good. Please let us how you are doing.

Respected Contributor

@conltYour doctor has obviously given a lot of thought to your two best options, and has explained them clearly to you. Sounds like your confidence and trust in him are well placed.  Stay hopeful and do let us know how it goes!

Honored Contributor

If its anything like cataract surgery, it will be painless.  Good luck and fingers crossed that its benign.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I believe you have made the right decision in getting it done promptly instead of the wait and see approach. I commend you for tackling this head on. Good Luck, God bless and  positive vibes to you.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you made the right decision.  I think attending to issues early on is proactive, and I wish you a complete resolution to this issue.  Please let us know after your procedure is over.

Best of luck to you!

Respected Contributor

Yikes, that's a new one on me and it seems you're staying on top of it (I believe that's key to everything). Confidence in your medical providers is so important and it sounds like you've got this - good luck and prayers for your quick recovery.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you've made the right decision to take care of the problem immediately, rather than deal with the "wait and see" option. Wise woman!  Our eyes are too precious to let anything suspicious wait.

I've had both cataracts removed without any problems. Have also had retina surgery without any problems (and that was significantly stranger as far as the recovery period went, but it was doable and I survived by myself). Again, no pain involved.  

Confident you'll be fine. Sending thoughts and prayers for an uneventful surgery and an easy recovery. Pease keep us up-to-date on your recouperation. (These eye surgeries are new to us and interesting to hear about. I shared my retina surgery last January. We're all learning together.) Blessings.          

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@conlt,

KEEP CALM AND GOOD LUCK GOD BLESS Poster

Respected Contributor

I agree with the others, absolutely right decision!  I agonized a year ago about having surgery for glaucoma and cataracts, had a splendid doctor, head of opthamology at huge teaching hospital here, and put my trust in him and it went amazingly well, no pain, easy recovery.  I can't even imagine muddling along with my impaired sight; everything is fantastic now.  

In your case the waiting and watching would take its toll on your mental health, so going ahead with the surgery is great.  Much good luck to you, and please post back about the outcome and how you are doing.