Honored Contributor

Re: Support stocking sor swollen feet and ankles, please share what you where and where to find them

Anyone having a chronic problem with seriously swollen feet and ankles, needs to consult with their physician and request a prescription for appropriate hosiery which can be obtained from a medical supply store.  They can provide any size with the appropriate comprrssion.  This is a serious medical problem not a fashion problem where the likes of Legacy Legwear should be consideted.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Support stocking sor swollen feet and ankles, please share what you where and where to find them

One should always go to a medical supply store where you can be measured properly for the correct stocking, at least that's what I was told.

Honored Contributor

@CaChica wrote:

I can no longer get my thong flip flops on.  Last summer my doc suggested I wear light compression socks or stockings for my swollen feet and ankles. I have inherited wider ankles and calves (can't wear skinny jeand!) and it is a problem finding a stocking or sock that is not too tight. I am wearing occasionally a trouser sock now with a lot of spandex. (Doc tried rx lasix and I had hair loss thinning as a result of it combined with a cortisone shot for my shoulder.  I really don't want to try meds again if I can help it.) No I don't have any heart issues to date. I never add salt and try to avoid it when ordering out.  My doc is on maternity leave currently.

I can't find what I need locally.  I need a source to find the socks and I think a stirup sock would be cooler.  Also, has anyone tried those new stirrup socks (black and white and colors) that are toe less and just go up a few inches above the ankle.  I am wondering if that would work.

Please share your experiences and socks with me, and where you found them. 

Do you take a diuretic and is it non heart related?  Someone told me I could get one which doesn't affect the heart.   I have an appt. with doc next month.

Thanks for your input.

Try Plus size clothing websites for what you need. The calf and ankle measurements are larger. They often have light compression hosiery available. Here’s a few websites:Catherine’s, Avenue, Fullbeauty, Ulla Popken.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some compression socks come in wide calf and regular.  Perhaps the wide calf would help you.  Don't give up.  Glad that you are seeing your doctor next month.   Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Much thanks for all of your input.  Lots of good advise.  : )

Honored Contributor

I order my compression stockings from Discount Surgical Stockings.  Put that name in the search and you'll find it easily. You can find different levels of compression as well as assorted sizing based on your calf measurement.  I would personally recommend the toeless kind.  IMO, they are much easier to put on.  Maybe they wouldn't be as difficult with light compression, but I always struggled and broke into a sweat until I learned a great trick.  It only works with the toeless kind....slip a sandwich baggie or smqll grocery bag over your toes and partially up your food.  The baggie will help the sock to slip over your foot easier.  Once it's on your foot, make all your adjustments to get the heel in place.  Then work the sock up your leg from ankle to knee.  Once your sock is in place, go back to the open toe, pull it back a little and pull the baggie out.  Smooth out the sock.  That baggie trick makes all the difference.

Valued Contributor

@CaChica  I don't have any experience with compression socks. But b/c my diabetic husband, even though he is very thin, has some swelling in his calves/ankles he only wears what are called diabetic crew socks sold at Walgreens, Walmart, and i'm sure other retailers.

These are not compression socks, but are totally non-binding on the calf and can at least be a comfortable sock without cutting into your swollen skin. They are so soft and comfortable for a condition like yours. 'Hope this helps (HTH). Take care and i hope you will get more information from your Doc when she returns. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Esteemed Contributor

Since your physician has already put you on Laxis, I hope you follow up with her.  Socks are only like a bandaid.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Anyone having a chronic problem with seriously swollen feet and ankles, needs to consult with their physician and request a prescription for appropriate hosiery which can be obtained from a medical supply store.  They can provide any size with the appropriate comprrssion.  This is a serious medical problem not a fashion problem where the likes of Legacy Legwear should be consideted.

I agree with Kachina.

I would let your doctor talk to your doctor more about this when you see her again @CaChicaSmiley Happy

I have more serious issues with swelling in my legs and ankles with Lymphedema.

I'm under medical care for this condition. 

I also take two different diuretics. The diuretics will remove fluid from your body wherever you have excess fluid. 

Whatever questions you have about them, I would ask your doctor. Smiley Happy

I wear medical-grade compression stockings in a medium compression.

I was measured for them to make sure that I was getting the proper fit and compression. 

I also put some baby powder on my legs before I put them on, and I also find that this helps to get them on a bit more easily, too.

I use something similar to a plastic bag like JeanLouiseFinch does. It does definitely help when trying to put them on.

Also just trying to put them on bit by bit also helps, inching them up a little bit at a time also makes a difference. 

I've found that it doesn't work when you try and put them on like regular stockings, as they're not made like regular stockings, so you kind of have to "rethink" how you put them on. It takes a little trial and error to do it, and you have to be a bit more patient with yourself as you do it as I've found that there's a learning curve to doing it. 

I wish you the best of luck as you deal with all of this. Smiley Happy Heart