Honored Contributor

Re: Suppliments for osteoarthtitis in feet?

I have some arthritis in my big toe on my right foot and in both my knees-----I have been taking a good glucosamine chondrotin with turmeric and msm--2 a day for the last months and have noticed a big difference. My arthritis isn't nearly as bad as alot of folks. My knees have realy benefitted from it--tweaked the miniscus on both knees and now those are not issues anymore. And for me, it took just a few days, maybe a week to feel a difference. Also if things start barking at me, I use a CBD cream too. I can tell if I miss a few pills too. Have 2 brands I like and got it on AMZ. Tylenol works well for me too.

Honored Contributor

My doctor prescribed Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel 1% for the arthritis in the top of my right foot.  Gives me some temporary relief, but it's not the relief I wish for.  My orthopedist recommended arch supports, which help a bit.  Arthritis is tough.

Honored Contributor

Anti-inflammatory diet - unprocessed foods, no sugar, no grains works well for me. No supplement or prescription drug can come close to helping as much.

Honored Contributor

My friend has arthritis in her ankles. She uses a DMSO cream on them and she says that helps with the inflammation and pain. DMSO needs to be used with caution and it's important to know exactly how to apply it safely.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361   I've already replied but had another thought.  Are you sure it's not your shoes?  My feet used to hurt all the time, and I went to an orthopedic surgeon to see what was wrong.  She said I had very flat feet and gave me a list of brands of shoes that would be suitable.  She also sent me to have orthotics made.  At that time my insurance wouldn't cover them.  They were $350, so I didn't get them.  I make sure to buy certain brands of shoes that have good arch support now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Goldengate8361 

I have osteo in many parts of my body caused mainly by my job, and choices of sports participation. Fingers/back surgeries/crushed cervical vertebrae, but not my feet.

What has always worked best for me is "movement", especially when waking and or sitting for any length of time. I can flex my fingers any ole time and I do specific exercises for my arthritic spinal problems. Due to colon bleeding, I cannot take anything with anti-inflammatory properties, and also have to watch things I eat that have blood thinning properties.

Not one that really believes in many supplements, especially those that cannot be quantified via blood testing. Those that are "subjective" to how a person "thinks" they are working? Reminds me too much of hundreds of Placebo tests and studies I have read, and heard about at many Medical Clinic Classes.

Best I got for ya from my experiences.

hckynut 

hckynut-I always enjoy your tips about health.  You have some very common sense ways of dealing with things.  Thank you for sharing your experiences.  Very helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

Something I have used for pain, but not a supplement.  I was looking for something that would not need to be ingested. I bought some Theraworx from Amazon.  Basically bought for knee and back issues, but have used on my foot pain and it works.  Bought the foam option...it does help with pain!!! Try it!!

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Has anyone heard of good effects of taking supplements for osteoarthritis, particularly in the feet? What supplements have helped? Please know....that I know one should get health info from their doctor, etc. I am simply looking for anecdotal stories of people's success or not with suppliments.

I wanted to try taking a Tart Cherry supplement and also a Magnesium supplement to see if either of them would help with pain and inflammation.

I have Fibro. and was looking to see what could help.

I checked with my doctor who is an Osteopath and we talked about different methods of pain relief aside from prescription medication and he was fine with me giving them a try.

Anyway, Tart Cherry has natural melatonin in it, so I take it at bedtime as I find that it makes me feel tired.

I do think that it helps with pain in general. I have pain in my feet, but from neuropathy. 

It is supposed to help with arthritic pain and gout. It is considered a natural anti-inflammatory.

Magnesium is supposed to help with many things, including muscle cramps. It is also supposed to have a calming and relaxing effect, too.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 @Toppers3 @corita @Jinlei @NickNack 

I take the following:

tart cherry (mentioned before)

Lessman Circulation and Vein (wonderful relief)

rub Deep Blue on soles of feet/toe knuckles   (immediately solves pain issues)

hope you get some relief the pain can be excruciating 🥰

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Has anyone heard of good effects of taking supplements for osteoarthritis, particularly in the feet? What supplements have helped? Please know....that I know one should get health info from their doctor, etc. I am simply looking for anecdotal stories of people's success or not with suppliments.

@Goldengate8361 

Not a supplement, but I highly recommend Aspercreme ... it's cheapest at Walmart.   And it's unscented, so you don't smell like an old person, lol.

They have now come out with a roll on and a dry spray version.    Reduces pain by approx 35%, IMO.