Esteemed Contributor

Re: Supplemental plans: F-vs-G plan

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

@781Florist I agree there's nothing better. I've never had to pay a cent, either. You have a good premium, toward the mid range. Mine is already up to $302 and it's going to go higher. It seems different carrier's charge different rates. Not sure why that is, or how they get away with it. You'd think it would be comparable. 

@BlueFinch 

Monthly premiums are based on the individuals AGE, not the carrier. I also have this Plan F insurance (age 74) and my premiums are higher than either of you have mentioned. I'm obviously older. I don't care! I love the coverage. As I've aged, my health has become challenged and I've certainly received more than I've paid in. Not going to gamble with my health insurance.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

I also had Plan F for several years.  Two years ago, the agent ran the numbers and I saw how much more per year/quarte I was paying versus what Plan G would cost.  Yes, I pay my deductible now, but I am saving $$$ per year.

The agent told me as Plan F members decrease and nobody can sign up for it again, the price it costs the insurance compnay is SPLIT amongst the remaining members.  Since there are more member in Plan G now, when they SPLIT up the price/costs, it makes the price per customer cheaper.  I know I am simplifying this, but I think my point about the pool of members vs a declining membership pool show that just paying the $233 for your deductible makes sense since Plan G still pays for everyting else.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the Plan F and once you leave you can't go back... As far as what your agent told you about the deductible amount..... that will only continue to increase.....

Honored Contributor

When we became Medicare eligible we still could have picked Plan F, knowing it was going away. We chose G and AARP United Health Care. We couldn't be happier with our choices! 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

First off, you will be accepted in G if you switch.  Theres no problem.

I switched from F to G.  After you pay the deuctible, they are the exact same plan.  The rise in F monthly payment  was much more than just just paying the deductible in G.  It saves quiete a bit and its the exact same plan after you pay the deductible

Valued Contributor

@sann wrote:

I have the Plan F and once you leave you can't go back... As far as what your agent told you about the deductible amount..... that will only continue to increase.....

Yes, you can't go back to Plan F, but why would you want to?  

Both plans pay for everything.  Medicare sets the deductible each year, that's true, but everyone pays the exact same.  By far, the small increase of the deductible when it goes up will far out weigh what the increases in Plan F will cost you each year.

As less and less people are in the "pool" for Plan F, the higher the cost per person left.  Plan G has a lot more people to share the "pool" cost.  

Occasional Contributor

There's no way I'd give up F.  I had a heart attack and then a valve repair two years ago. Total amount was thousands.  I didn't pay a cent.  Costs $250 month. Worth every penny.  

Regular Contributor

Plan G is the better plan. Coverage is exactly the same as Plan F.  The most you will spend in a year is $233. Medicare keeps track of the deductible. Doctor bills you. You save lots of money.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BlueFinch wrote:

@781Florist I agree there's nothing better. I've never had to pay a cent, either. You have a good premium, toward the mid range. Mine is already up to $302 and it's going to go higher. It seems different carrier's charge different rates. Not sure why that is, or how they get away with it. You'd think it would be comparable. 

@BlueFinch 

Monthly premiums are based on the individuals AGE, not the carrier. I also have this Plan F insurance (age 74) and my premiums are higher than either of you have mentioned. I'm obviously older. I don't care! I love the coverage. As I've aged, my health has become challenged and I've certainly received more than I've paid in. Not going to gamble with my health insurance.

Actually if you compare monthly premiums based on the same age, they do vary from carrier to carrier.

Respected Contributor

Back in the mid 90's, when I thought I might be reengineered out of my job, I tried to but individual health ins. coverage that would kick in if I lost my job & was denied as uninsurable (at age 42) due to pre-existing congential conditions. 

Thankfully, it never happened, I kept my job & I retired in 2006.  When I became Medicare eligible in 2015, the person who helped me choose a plan & coverage recommended I get the best plan that I could get when I chose, because when you first go on Medicare they can't deny you whatever plan you pick.  I chose a "Cadillac" Plan F plan & have been quite happy with it & hope to keep it forever, because I doubt I would qualify for a lateral type plan & not sure what I'd be able to get if I ever changed plans.