Honored Contributor

Re: Supplemental plans: F-vs-G plan

@On It wrote:

@BlueFinch I would be hesitant to change plans. From what I know the F plan is the best out there. I know this sounds cynical, but could your agent be getting a financial incentive to switch customers to a different plan? If you like your plan and can afford the higher premium, I would not change.

@On It They do get a higher commission for the first year premium as opposed to next to nothing for subsequent years.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a BlueCross plan F and it has been the best decision I ever made.  My monthly premium is high ($233.00) but I (knock wood) have never received a bill for one red cent in the three and a half years I have had it.  I was lucky in that I was apparently eligible for this plan the year I was selecting my insurance.  The very next year they said that no one would be able to have that plan going forward.  I was grandfathered in.  I have a few medical issues and decided that the likelihood of my needing a variety of doctors and maybe even a few procedures made sense to cover all my bases.

My recent 3 month Medicare statement showed that the amount  that I would have owed from procedures,tests and Dr./hospital visits this past 3 months was $2,400.00.

My supplement covered it entirely.  Those 3 months are just short of what I pay in a calendar year for my premium.  Peace of mind is priceless!!  Count me as a vote urging you to hold on to the gold standard of supplement plans.  

Valued Contributor

...BTW...My monthly premium went up about $15.00 a month in each of the past two years.  I don't think that's bad.  Cable TV goes up much more than that!

Respected Contributor

We also have F and will keep it until we don't.

My suspicion is that insurance companies are trying to force subscribers into more profitable plans mainly by the "carrot" and the "stick" The carrot is the touting of the savings without loss of coverage and the stick is raising rates.

Our long term care insurance with Genworth is doing much the same.  They keep sending letters encouraging that they can save the policy holder money with lower premiums in exchange for lesser coverage or shorter coverage or both. There is no cash value of just dropping the insurance. 25 years ago it would have been better to just invest the money well and self pay but who knew. 

My friend was diagnosed with MS at age 50. At age 75 she has been in assisted living for the last 10 years. Fortunately her policy has lifetime coverage. Imagine if she had opted for premium cost savings for lesser coverage. Same for Medicare supplement. If we give up F there is no re-do of regret.

Respected Contributor

@TwinkleBell  It's not just you. I agree with you that I don't want a plan that I have to micromange. There's enough we have to put up with and do. 

Respected Contributor

@Dragonflyveb  Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to see that you are pleased with your G plan. 

I don't have current health issues that should prevent me from switching. I wasn't even the one who asked to change, so my agent has probably already reviewed my status. He is the one who originally signed me on for the F plan. I hadn't talked to him in over a year. So I think there has been a push for them to get people out of the F plan.

I love my F plan, but I have had concerns about just how high the premiums can rise over the next few years. It could become unaffordable for many. Mine is now $302/mo. This carrier seems to have the highest end of the range for premiums. 

And, like you said, with people dropping out of the F plan for various reasons, I fear those captured and unable to change because of rising health issues may see premiums skyrocket. Not much you could do about it but cancel, but who could afford not to have coverage?

So, it's definitely a lot to process, but considering that G is comparable to F, except for the Part B deductible, it may be the way to go for the long term so this doesn't remain an ongoing worry. I love my F plan now, in spite of the cost factor,  but it could become an albatross. Thanks again. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  As mentioned by @CelticCrafter, the supplemental plans are handled differently than advantage type plans that can only be changed during open enrollment.

I didn't contact my rep, he contacted me out of the blue stating ways I can save money on premiums with an equitable plan to what I already have. 

Respected Contributor

@On It  Not cynical at all. I'm sure there's something in it for him to run up the numbers of those he gets to change. That's what has made me hesitant.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh  Thanks. The agent is the one who originally signed me up for the F plan. He does everything in person. He sits with you as long as it takes to walk you through everything. He was very helpful when I first went on Medicare. He didn't steer me wrong then. I like him a lot, but I have to remember this is business. 

I wouldn't change the F plan, but I fear some changes since it's been cancelled for new retirees will have growing negative impacts. I also don't want to deal with problems on an ongoing basis. Glad to hear you like you G plan.  

Respected Contributor

@781Florist I agree there's nothing better. I've never had to pay a cent, either. You have a good premium, toward the mid range. Mine is already up to $302 and it's going to go higher. It seems different carrier's charge different rates. Not sure why that is, or how they get away with it. You'd think it would be comparable.