Respected Contributor

Supplemental plans: F-vs-G plan

I have a supplemental F plan that I've really liked. It is costly, but top of the line, in my opinion. I've never had a problem with my plan. It's so easy, since there are no deductibles, or unnecessary paperwork and they pay well. I've never had any facility try to gig me for excessive fees, either, since this is not allowed. 

The F plan was discontinued a while back. Those already with the plan were allowed to keep it. I know that the carrier's aren't crazy about having those who were grandfathered in, but I hadn't heard anything from my agent until ... last week.

He called urging me to change to the G plan, stating I could save over a hundred a month in premiums. He claims the only difference is that I would have to pay the Part B deductible which is, I think $233, then the plan will function exactly as the F plan, but with lower monthly cost. So, there would be some savings, but once you leave the F plan you can never get it back.

I'm supposed to meet with my agent on Monday. I'd appreciate any thoughts from those who may have experienced this  situation, or any info that may benefit my decision.

I can't be the only one who has been urged to change. I like my agent, but I know he has his own motives for this push, so I can't trust him entirely. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Supplemental plans: F-vs-G plan

Just make 100% sure you can revert back to the Plan you like, before you decide to change.  Often that's not allowed.  Good luck!

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Respected Contributor

@TwinkleBell wrote:

Just make 100% sure you can revert back to the Plan you like, before you decide to change.  Often that's not allowed.  Good luck!

@TwinkleBell  I know, I stated it in my post. If you drop the F Plan you can never get it again. That's part of the apprehension. 

Honored Contributor

There is no guarantee that you will be accepted, especially if you are changing carriers.  I don't know what happens if you plan to stay with the same carrier.

The only time you are guaranteed acceptance into a supplemental plan is during what they call your own personal enrollment period.  Once you are out of your personal enrollment period, carriers have the right to ask medical questions. 

Supplements do not fall under the annual open enrollment period.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch  I apologize.  What you mentioned  just didnt sink into me.  (Just woke up)..

I stayed with the Plan I have, after meeting with 2 different Reps, who encouraged me to change.. 

--->  #1 Reason:   Cause I just do not want to be responsible for the "arithmetic" after I HAD to use the Plan for serious illness.  Recovering & Medical Follow-Ups were *all* I wanted to think about.. not "arithmetic" of my Plan.

I NEED Peace of mind, while ONLY trying to recover, esp for unexpected illnesses, medical incidents.

But that's *just me.*  I dont have anyone I can truly count on to "do the correct math" while I "recover."

I had to take an Ambulance, 2 different times, of late.. $800++.  and the ER result was serious illness, with serious followup, more bills In Hosp and O/P docs..  Thank goodness, I didnt have to think ANY MATH abt the bills coming in.  Same with the bills for the COVID vax's, (even & those werent cheap).

After I made my decision, EACH TIME, I remembered..

"All that glitters, is not gold."

BUT THIS IS JUST ME!...

I just listened, ask lots of questions... perhaps follow up asking abt areas I still questioned.. cause when someone is trying to sell me something......"talking aint the same as in writing."

Yrs ago, when a nurse, any doc offered "Professional Courtesy" when I had to seek "Medical Care."  (But not the Hospital, OutPatient, Phys therapy, etc etc... Then, I still didnt count on NO, or LESSER insurance.  I joined a "Small Business Grp" that offering & I bought their fantastic "Group Rate,  because of terrific Health Ins.  Never regretted it.

In these 2 consultations with the Rep, I didnt even get as far as to ask them, "Rep.. what do YOU get out of this if  I change?" 

@BlueFinch 

Again.. good luck.. Very tough decision, esp during these times where we're trying to cut costs, somewhere or another.

(oh darn, still waking up... I'll come back here later to correct my typos & correct sentences... cats, incl a "my efforts at life entending cat," are beggin me.. heh)

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch 

Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I don't understand ....  why are you meeting with your agent on Monday ..... outside of Open Enrollment?   

Why can't this wait until Open Enrollment?    

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 open enrollment doesn't apply to Supplement plans.

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch I would be hesitant to change plans. From what I know the F plan is the best out there. I know this sounds cynical, but could your agent be getting a financial incentive to switch customers to a different plan? If you like your plan and can afford the higher premium, I would not change.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, BlueFinch,

I was in the same quandary last year. The premiums on the Plan F went up significantly. The only difference between Plan F and Plan G was that I would pay the $233 deductible with Plan G. The yearly cost for Plan F compared to G easily exceeded the $233. My best option was to go with G with the same company.

So--I had to submit a new medical questionaire, even though it was the same company. My new premium was a bit higher because of my weight, but still saved me money over the year. I switched to Plan G. 

Something you have to consider is your recent health. If you have anything you are being treated for, you may not be accepted. A friend of mine is stuck with Plan F due to prostate cancer. He can't switch because no company wants to pick him up.

Since Plan F is closed and getting pricey, many people have moved to Plan G. This leaves Plan F with a shrinking pool of people with chronic medical conditions, which will keep raising the premiums year after year. 

Good luck with your decision. I have not regretted switching to Plan G.

dragonfly

edited to add: my coverage is the same as Plan F

Honored Contributor

If I had Plan F, I would never ever ever change from it.

It was not available to me when I started Medicare so I picked Plan G.  I will never, ever, ever change from G.

For me, it's the best supplement out there.  And to change, in most states, you have to go through medical underwriting.  

My supplement signup was through a company my late husbands former employer used.  The name escapes me right now.  Large National company. Other than the signup, and to change my address with them when I moved, I really have no need to ever contact them again unless I switch drug plans.  And I didn't meet with them to begin with. Initial sign up was done over the phone and online. 

I would be very leery of an agent trying to convince me to change.  Like, I wouldn't even meet with the agent.  

I just wanted to sign up for a Medicare, my supplement and drug plan and then be done with it.  It's not something that I wanted to deal with on a continuing basis. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?