Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I think you are the bee's knees when it comes to beauty and supplement knowledge.  I subscribe to Consumer Lab and generally go by their recommendations for supplements, since they are a third-party testing site.  That being said, as I get older, I am taking more and more supplements (which have helped in many cases) to overcome some age-related issues.  This is becoming quite costly!  Do you have any brand recommendations for these supplements?  I know you buy brands that work at the best cost.

1) Glucosamine SULFATE (not HCI)/Chondroitin Sulfate

2) CoQ10

3) Type 2 Collagen (UCII)

4) Turmeric

Thank you so, so much!

Honored Contributor

Re: Supplement Advice

[ Edited ]

I dont take CO Q, I take the more costly versioin called Ubiquinol, usually buy Trader Joe brand on ebay for almost half the cost as it is in the store. Usually buy 4 at a time. I take only Shellfish Free Glucomsomine with MSM, no Chondroitan, that soimetimes can raise cholesterol, buy either Vitacost brand or Swanson brand. I use either Verisom collagen or Hello Lovely which has 5 kinds and no tilapia in it. Find that on amazon. Sillie Me and I both use the same tumeric supp found on amazon, I am sure she can tell you more about it than I can. 

Valued Contributor

When it comes to me putting supplements into my body I have to push the cost in the background and stick with ANDREW LESSMAN , I TRUST  him 100%

I do lots of times wait for his SPECIALS on HSN and many times have to use the flex pay  then I  can afford the  largest size.

I go back with him to the late 80's when he started off on the Q. with those packets of orange vitamins C for my kids back then.

Being a senior now ,have once shown to a cardiologist what I was taking  and he said WOW you know what to be using , thought  then it's thanks to Andrew explaining everything so well, I  also take no prescriptions ,

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I dont take CO Q, I take the more costly versioin called Ubiquinol, usually buy Trader Joe brand on ebay for almost half the cost as it is in the store. Usually buy 4 at a time. I take only Shellfish Free Glucomsomine with MSM, no Chondroitan, that soimetimes can raise cholesterol, buy either Vitacost brand or Swanson brand. I use either Verisom collagen or Hello Lovely which has 5 kinds and no tilapia in it. Find that on amazon. Sillie Me and I both use the same tumeric supp found on amazon, I am sure she can tell you more about it than I can. 

@Shelbelle 

I recently discovered that the Pure by Nature brand turmeric has changed their ingredients to a "Turmeric Blend" which includes the standardized curcumin content. But how much of that "Blend" is actually curcumin?? So I will no longer be buying that brand and have switched to Qunol's curcumin. Pure by Nature has also raised the price so much that it doesn't compete with well with other better supps of its kind. 

Check out the ingredients in this Qunol:

Turmeric Curcumin with Black Pepper, Qunol 2250mg Turmeric Extract with 95% Curcuminoids, Extra Strength Supplement, Enhanced Absorption, Supports Healthy Inflammation Response, 90 Vegetarian Capsules, Opens in a new tab

614pDY3H-NL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Note the dosage of 3 caps equal to 2250mg of curcumin extract. Really don't need to take 3, only need to take 2 per day which will be 1500mg as per Dr. Weil recommends. But suit yourself. I'm going to take only 2 caps per day.

Honored Contributor

Good call. I just tried Natures Nutrition Tumeric from amazon, or ebay, cant remember, 240 in a bottle. 

Honored Contributor

@Mimi NY wrote:

When it comes to me putting supplements into my body I have to push the cost in the background and stick with ANDREW LESSMAN , I TRUST  him 100%

I do lots of times wait for his SPECIALS on HSN and many times have to use the flex pay  then I  can afford the  largest size.

I go back with him to the late 80's when he started off on the Q. with those packets of orange vitamins C for my kids back then.

Being a senior now ,have once shown to a cardiologist what I was taking  and he said WOW you know what to be using , thought  then it's thanks to Andrew explaining everything so well, I  also take no prescriptions ,

I dont think Lessman is as good as he sounds, some of his products have much lower potency than I find elsewhere, I only take one product of his, Chloesta Care. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Supplement Advice

[ Edited ]

Sillie, guess what, i only take one per day of tumeric!!  That gives me 600 mg a day, that is all I care to take with everything else I take.  It gives me 5 mg of black pepper too. 

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@SilleeMee I think you are the bee's knees when it comes to beauty and supplement knowledge.  I subscribe to Consumer Lab and generally go by their recommendations for supplements, since they are a third-party testing site.  That being said, as I get older, I am taking more and more supplements (which have helped in many cases) to overcome some age-related issues.  This is becoming quite costly!  Do you have any brand recommendations for these supplements?  I know you buy brands that work at the best cost.

1) Glucosamine SULFATE (not HCI)/Chondroitin Sulfate

2) CoQ10

3) Type 2 Collagen (UCII)

4) Turmeric

Thank you so, so much!

@Ainhisg 

Thank you so much for you kind words. I appreciate that very much.Woman Happy

I don't take glucos/chondro supps so I can't help you there.

I don't take CoQ10 b/c I'm over 40yo where ubiqinol would be a better option for older people. Ubiquinol is a converted, more absorbable form of CoQ10 and is usually recommended to older people. I take Trader Joe's Ubiqinol. Not to be confused with ubiquinone.

I don't take collagen II. I take types I and III (Horbaach brand with Verisol collagen).

I take pure turmeric (curcumin) extract, 1500mg per day. Qunol Turneric 2250.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee thank you so much!

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Good call. I just tried Natures Nutrition Tumeric from amazon, or ebay, cant remember, 240 in a bottle. 

@Shelbelle 

That Nature's Nutrition brand has very little active curcumin in it. You might want to look at the ingredients once again. I have looked at that one several times and for me it doesn't have enough active extract.