Honored Contributor

Re: Sunscreen enters bloodstream after just one day of use, study says

For those of us who are outside during the summer, we very well may be applying sunscreen 4+ times a day.  On the weekends, I am often on a boat and/or jet skiing so it's nothing for us to be in the sun all day long or for an extended period of the day.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@firestorm wrote:

Of course there are always outliers. However, skin cancer is the most common cause of cancer in the US. Better to be safe than sorry until further scientific studies, clinical trials etc. prove sunblock absorption harmful.

According to the National Cancer Institute, the most common type of cancer is breast cancer.

@Lipstickdiva 

The very first sentence on the Amer. Cancer Society page titled "Common Cancer Types" says that the list excludes non-melanoma skin cancers.  Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer on the list because most skin cancers are not included. If you google "most common type of cancer" you will find skin cancer is #1 on other lists.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

I watched my mother die a slow, painful death from melanoma 

I, too, watched my husband die from melanoma and let me tell you it was just awful. I don't think he got it from the sun because he had this "beauty mark" in his jaw all the years I knew him. (46).  One day on a routine visit to the Dr, the Dr. told him he didn't like the way it looked. 

I can't begin to describe what that melanoma did to,him.  Needless to say, I'm petrified of the sun, even though I don't think his was from the sun. 

The doctor told me to tell my kids and his siblings to be checked and also that melanoma can appear where the sun doesn't shine. 

So I really don't know what to make of this. And I now live in south Florida. 

Ill look for the sun screen with zinc oxide. Thanks for sharing this info. 

Best we just stay in a bubble, I guess. Lol

Respected Contributor

Living in Santa Fe now, I've had so many people tell me 'you have to wear sunscreen here" so I've spent days googling brands and reading about them and reading the reviews.   

I haven't found one yet that I'd be willing to buy and try.   While many may like all of them, there are enough that hate every brand I've looked at and for very valid reasons.   

I'm not a sun worshipper. Don't own a swim suit.  And am only in the sun walking from the car to a building or going on a medium length walk a couple of times a week.  I'm going to take my chances.  

I'm also 72 and don't have a wrinkle on my face.  

Respected Contributor

Interesting.  From the article ....

And Hawaii, the Pacific nation of Palau and Key West recently banned sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate because they cause coral bleaching and are dangerous to marine ecosystems.

Esteemed Contributor

Here is what the FDA has to say about sunscreen safety:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/fda-voices-perspectives-fda-experts/shedding-new-light-sunscreen-abs...

What they don't say is to stop using sunscreens.

Here is a link to the study mentioned in the JAMA abstract linked in the FDA article:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2733085