Honored Contributor

Re: Sunscreen enters bloodstream after just one day of use, study says

That's why we should follow Hawaii's lead in banning the chemical versions of sunscreen and using, most preferably at this time, ones containing zinc oxide.

I just finally yesterday received Lessman's new Sole sunblock with zinc oxide.  I hope it'll be a good option.  

Although why QVC customers had to wait a whole MONTH after HSN customers to get these Lessman products is not clear to me.  If you ordered through HSN, you could get them much sooner.  Surely the warehouse issues aren't that bad?!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

However, the article states that for the purposes of the study, chemical sunscreens were put on 75% of the body four times a day.  How many people are going to do that?

As far as I could tell, it didn’t mention anything about physical sunscreen, like zinc oxide.

Good for you for at least reading the article.  From the responses here, it doesn't seem most people did and are only relating their personal responses which have nothing to do with the article.  

The article briefly mentions zinc and titanium oxide:

"The Environment Working Group recommends choosing a mineral sunscreen containing titanium dioxide and zinc oxide when possible, while the American Academy of Dermatology recommends talking to a board-certified dermatologist if you are concerned about the safety of the sunscreen's ingredients."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I don't use it and I also stay out of the sun as much as possible..

@cherry.  Everytime you ride in a car, you're exposed to the sun's rays.  You don't have to sun bathe.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My skin sizzles when I'm in the direct sun for more than 15 min.I guess it's due to the medications I take that make me photosensitive. I just stay out of the sun, but I do ride in the car a fair amount especially in summer when my husband and I take our day trips. I'm going to try that AL sunscreen.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps if you are on vacation you would be putting it on 4 or more times per day...or doing alot of out door work in your yard and live in say Florida.  

Having rosacea....and basically skin that is see thur (you can easily see my viens) I use spf that agrees with my skin disease.  My spouse just had a pre-melanoma cut out of his face.  Very deep incision and large...over 2inches long.  He was blessed that this was all that was necessary....derm told him it's from sun exposure from his youth and up over the yrs.  

We all know people who never use spf and tan....never burn.  And they never get any skin cancers of any kind.  But I can tell you while sitting in the derms office it was filled with old people returning for a follow up visit...all had multiple cut out skin cancers....on legs, arms, face and so on.  Perhaps they tanned alot in their youth and never burned?  Perhaps they never did? who knows...most looked to have lived out doors to my eyes based on the immense discolored freckling age spots all over them from head to toe.  My son was with me that day and I explained to him why all these older folks were in there and that's what happens to us one day.  

We all have our experiences...my father never burned but never layed in the sun...he got many skin cancers removed from his scalp (bald) face and so on....no melanomas.  My MIL sunbathed and got so dark they would ask her if she was from Jamaica! No skin cancers...just lung and spine cancer.  

Life just rolls out differently for lot's of us....if it isn't one thing it's something else.  I will be wearing my spf....always everyday and I hope I don't get skin cancer from all the stupid years in my youth.  When your basically pink trying to tan is just plain dumb...I wish I could go back and have a talk with myself LOL!

Honored Contributor

This article seems to be referring to chemicsl sunscreens, what about the mineral ones like zinc and titanium oxides?

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

Thanks—I missed that.  My eyes aren’t what they used to be! 🤓  I was curious about it too, since I wear mineral sunscreen.  The chemical ones bother me.

Honored Contributor

Sitting in the shade under a tree or an umbrella won't block the rays. You will still get rays reflected off of objects and from the ground around you, or off of water if that applies. Some rays go right through umbrellas and hats. You can get rays through most clothing. You can get sunburned on a cloudy day. Best to wear UPF-rated clothing to reduce the risk. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've worked full time outdoors for close to 30 years.  I did wear it all the time while working and did re-apply frequently.  It was necessary.  I've used all kinds.

I also did (and do) wear hats with a wide brim, and always shades.

I wear long sleeves in the summer, usually.  I find it cooler than exposing my bare skin.  I also cover my neck and chest with a "Buff" (scarf - bufanda) regularly.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I know. I don't do any sort of outside work. I am not at a high elevations, and most of the time, we have cloud cover here, so ,that cuts down on some of the UV rays

About the only sun exposure I get ,is walking in and out of places, and riding in the car. We have our car windows treated with some sort of sun screening film