Esteemed Contributor

Re: Summertime SAD. It's real, and I have it.

gardensla,

Have you sought professional help?

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

We are certainly suffering here. It's been 100 degrees for about the last week or so, and the humidity is very high. No real relief in sight. All we can do is hunker down in the air conditioning (thank God for that) and wish the next 8 weeks of our lives away.  We'll be lucky if it cools down a little by October. If we were a bit younger, we would definitely be in the mountains somewhere!

Frequent Contributor

Wow, I thought I was the only one! No one in my family or circle of friends experiences this - or understands it - at all. I have been ridiculed for feeling like this, being told I am "nuts" since "everybody loves summer". Well, I most certainly don't; not the heat..or humidity..or blazing sunlight..or even the color of summer clothes. Lol. Feeling sticky and hot drains every last ounce of energy and makes me extremely cranky, even with AC. Now,winter on the other hand, despite its own challenges, comforts me. I love curling up under a fleece blanket with a book, or sitting by the wood stove, or just watching the snow falling outside the window. Plus,there are all those dark color, fuzzy sweaters and coats. Smiley Happy. Thank you all for letting me know I am not alone....or "nuts."
Esteemed Contributor

I can't take the heat like I did in my teens. When it is this hot and very humid, I feel like a hermit. I hate going out anywhere because I feel sweaty, my hair is stuck to me neck and my make-up seams to melt off my face.

Esteemed Contributor

This is fascinating. I love mild temperatures, 70 or so, but I cannot stand extreme heat and humidity. I turn beet red and everything swells up. Since I had melanoma 14 years ago, I'm no sun worshipper. I live in upstate New York, where winters are long, but I'd rather have that than unrelenting high temperatures. My daughter and family and our best friends all moved to Florida. My brother and my other daughter tell me they're going to retire to Florida when the time comes. They all tell me I'm nuts to stay in my snow-covered isolation but I'm staying where I am. I'm already dreading two trips to Florida next year, one in May and one in June. My grandchildren are graduating from college and from high school. They are wonderful events but the heat and humidity will be awful. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the cool temperatures and the gorgeous colors of autumn.

Valued Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

The unrelenting, bright, hard light. The heat. The never-ending day that wakes me up at 5 and keeps me till 11. The thought of food makes me ill. 

I've always hated summer. Always. Come to find out I'm not alone...and it's has a name.

It's Reverse SAD, the condition some experience in winter. Anyone else counting the minutes till fall?

Good article here. 

I've always dreaded late spring and summer. I HATE HOT WEATHER! It never get's too cold for me. My favorite days are overcast, dark, cold rainy days. Guess I should live in Washington State. When I was a child my family lived in Canda for a year and I loved the snow and cold weather. Where I previously lived in the mountains of Northern New Jersey we had heavy snows every year; 5' or more and I loved it.

If you are going to get married or live with someone you should discuss this issue in the very beginning. If you like it cold and they like it hot (play golf) it's a big problem. Also there is the issue of clothing. I love fall winter clothes not so much summer clothes.   Good topic!!

Respected Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

The unrelenting, bright, hard light. The heat. The never-ending day that wakes me up at 5 and keeps me till 11. The thought of food makes me ill. 

I've always hated summer. Always. Come to find out I'm not alone...and it's has a name.

It's Reverse SAD, the condition some experience in winter. Anyone else counting the minutes till fall?

Good article here. 

I wish you better days garden.  I was not aware of reverse SAD, but it does make sense.

I fight cold-weather SAD: sometimes I win, but usually can't wait until the spring warm-up.

Beach vacations during spring break always give me something to look forward to when it is cold, dark and gloomy.

Where do you like to vacation that lifts your spirits?  (not the beach, I supose, LOL)

Regular Contributor

Thank you so much for this information! I also cannot tolerate the heat and humidity. I'm in NC where it is SO oppressive. I'm also in the thick of menopause! One of the worst things is trying to get dressed in the morning, after a shower, when I keep sweating and sweating! LOL.. Thank goodness for fans and the cool setting on my hair dryer.  Like you, I also have sensitivity to bright light, with a history of migraines. C'mon, October!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

I jut love summer & hate winter with  passion ... I don't mind the cold weather but HATE THE  SNOW!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Oh please! Why does everything have to have a label these days?? I've said this time and time again. I have NEVER heard of anyone hate summer until I began reading these boards! Everyone I know LOVES summer as much as I do. But I guess its a regional thing. I live in an area that summers are purely gorgeous! I am fortunate to have retired (just 2 months ago) in our cottage on our beautiful lake in upper MI. No syndroms or labels here. Love my summers and only get depressed when fall arrives.

"Pure Michigan"