Esteemed Contributor

Summertime SAD. It's real, and I have it.

The unrelenting, bright, hard light. The heat. The never-ending day that wakes me up at 5 and keeps me till 11. The thought of food makes me ill. 

I've always hated summer. Always. Come to find out I'm not alone...and it's has a name.

It's Reverse SAD, the condition some experience in winter. Anyone else counting the minutes till fall?

Good article here. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Summertime SAD. It's real, and I have it.

Iam not waiting for Fall or Winter, because I have SAD.

Honored Contributor

Gardens, I don't mind the daylight and temps in the 70's, low 80's, providing there is zero humidity.  I can't speak to the appetite because I think I was born without an appetite (no matter the season).

I can tell you that if I am outside in hot and humid weather and I am not drinking water from some kind of sippy/sports cup, I get lightheaded and want to pass out.

I am looking forward to fall and dare I say it, winter.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Makes you feel so out of sync, since everybody seems to look forward to summer.  Don't think I have SAD, but I do get what I classify as migrane type symptoms frequently in the summer - sensitivity to light, headaches and an upset stomach.  I think I probably do get a bit more melancholy  too.

Trusted Contributor

gardensla, thank you for posting about this.  I sooo feel your pain!  I hate the heat more with each year.  I don't want to go anywhere or do anything because just being out in it for a very little while makes me ill -- nauseated and dizzy.  I'm irritable and frustrated and in a bad mood most of the time.

Not to mention the outrageous power bills!

I live in the very hot and humid South now.  Oh, how I long to live in NYC again.  Yes, it's hot there, too, but at least fall begins in September.  Where I live, we'll still be having summer until some time in October!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. Sluggish, irritable, cranky, depressed. That's me. I went out today to run errands and after only an hour or so had to come home and sit in a cool, dark room. The light was so bright--it was just boring into my brain! 

Oh, man I hate summer. And, I'm back in LA (was in NYC for a few years) where it never seems to end.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Valued Contributor

Gardensla!  Thank you for finding this and validating what I have felt and experienced all my life.  The sun rises at 4:30 am here - I could write more on how much I have DST - and the sun is brutal, with heat and humidity that make me miserable.  I understand siting in a dark cool place.  

The only good news is that this will change in about two months.  I cannot wait for fall.

Respected Contributor

I've made my peace with summer in the desert. I remind myself that this is as bad as it ever gets, and I am not dealing with snow, ice or wondering if my car will start or how I will get to work. I really enjoy going out after dark to shop, eat or go for a gelato, etc. When it's super hot I appreciate staying home in the coolness, like people cozying up to the fire in winter. The times I really dislike summer is when it doesn't cool off at night. September used to be one of my least favorite months because I expected it to be cool. Now I just anticipate the beautiful weather to come.
Respected Contributor

Sorry for no paragraphs in my previous post. All of a sudden this function seems to have disappeared on my iPad.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardensla wrote:

The unrelenting, bright, hard light. The heat. The never-ending day that wakes me up at 5 and keeps me till 11. The thought of food makes me ill. 

I've always hated summer. Always. Come to find out I'm not alone...and it's has a name.

It's Reverse SAD, the condition some experience in winter. Anyone else counting the minutes till fall?

Good article here. 

Sorry you are experiencing this. I love Summer and I abhor Winter.  I actualy prefer Fall, but FAll turns into Winter...uggh.

I actually don't "love" summer, but I love it compared to Winter.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"