Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for products to help post personal needs completed daily

@Abrowneyegirl, I thank you so much for that suggestion.  I went to the web site and so many good ideas for those who need something like that.  I definitely will keep this info to pass on, since there's a group that might use this info. Thanks so much!

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee

https://www.alzconnected.org/

This forum ...register and an Alzheimer’s representative will automatically contact you with helpful suggestions/resources.

5504B246-FA97-404C-9186-3ABC212CE86A.gif

Call the 800 number ANY TIME and a very helpful person will speak with you and provide some answers.

There is a post concerning veterans and they can qualify for free services: “Catastrophically Disabled Veterans”

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147536925

I hope you find some information here that helps you with whatever situation you find yourselves in. I think you will!

Please let us know what works!

PS...DH is a great proponent of the sticky notes for keeping up with tasks, etc.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl, I thank you so much for that suggestion.  I went to the web site and so many good ideas for those who need something like that.  I definitely will keep this info to pass on, since there's a group that might use this info. Thanks so much!

You are very welcome!

There really are some very cute ideas.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

How about this:

They are magnets and offer custom options

It is on Etsy 

the shop is TreeSawCrafts

@Abrowneyegirl this is such a cute idea. I would like this for my 9 year old son.

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Imaoldhippie: Great suggestions. His primary care doctor and the psychologist prefer that DH stays active and help himself as much as possible. Need doctor statements to get home help. DH does not like strangers in the house. He will not let me in the bathroom with him. Door knobs have been changed where he can’t lock himself in. Southern Bee 

@SouthernBee, insurance will not cover home health care that is considered custodial care, especially if it is related to memory loss.  Your doctor is probably well aware of that fact so knowing that my relieve some frustration you might have about the doctor.  Many people don't realize that insurance just won't cover sending someone to the house to help with bathing, dressing, etc. unless there is another significant medical reason the patient needs care from a nurse, physical therapist, etc.

Since you have hired someone to clean, I wonder if you could confide in her & ask her to keep track of when the bathroom looks like it has been used for a shower, shaving, etc.  If she is cleaning the bathroom on a regular basis, she may get a good read on whether your husband has taken a shower.  Maybe she could mark it on a calendar for you.

Baby boomers are aging so we have increased numbers of individuals living at home with memory issues.  Increasing numbers of people are choosing to stay in their homes as long as possible and therefore, there are many companies out there that now provide services for adults.  They will come stay for a few hours, help with bathing, assistance with fixing meals, etc.  Many of them are very good companies, but they are private pay since insurance will not cover those types of services.  You might call around and just see how much they charge.  A friend of mine started out with someone coming just 3 hours/once a week until her Mom got used to someone coming to the house.  The Mom was very resistant to having someone come, but ended up bonding with the caregiver so they ultimately increased the days the caregiver would come.  Just something to consider for the future.  

Hopefully, some of the tips you have received here along with the individual that will be cleaning the house will be a benefit that will help both you and your husband.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee wrote:

I am very stressed and can’t express self clearly. DH has multiple health issues including memory and confusion that are related with  depression and military issues. We are both disabled retired. My memory issues are age related. DH can’t always remember if he has showered or shaved. Our hall bathroom is used for DH and visitors. I put in our bathroom closet a dry erase board but if touched in wrong spot everything gets erased. I put a regular calendar with each day placed with area to check shower or shaved. But still difficult for DH. Really need something simple. Do not want to embarrass DH and have anything for visitors to see. I know to google or other research but can’t come  up with correct words to research. I pray that someone can understand me and help. Southern Bee 

XXX- please forgive me: posted twice. Southern 

@SouthernBeeFor the problem of the dry erase board getting erased, you can try using a regular Sharpie marker on it and then using a Mr. Clean Eraser to take off the writing.  (Test out a spot first and make sure it works.)  This will keep it from getting erased so easily.

I have to use this method at school for bulletin boards and things to keep kids from going by and erasing other students' names and things like that.