Honored Contributor

Suggestions for products to help post personal needs completed daily

[ Edited ]

I am very stressed and can’t express self clearly. DH has multiple health issues including memory and confusion that are related with  depression and military issues. We are both disabled retired. My memory issues are age related. DH can’t always remember if he has showered or shaved. Our hall bathroom is used for DH and visitors. I put in our bathroom closet a dry erase board but if touched in wrong spot everything gets erased. I put a regular calendar with each day placed with area to check shower or shaved. But still difficult for DH. Really need something simple. Do not want to embarrass DH and have anything for visitors to see. I know to google or other research but can’t one up with correct words to research. I pray that someone can understand me and help. Southern Bee 

XXX- Please forgive me- posted twice.Southen Bee

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for products to help post personal needs completed daily

@SouthernBee

There are a lot of ideas for kids on the spectrum, like this.

Our autism consultant made this visual schedule -- the pieces are connected and fold over so teachers and students don't loose them.

You could post it on the back of your medicine cabinet so that it's in the BR but others don't see it.

Honored Contributor

Here is one available on Etsy, that can be personalized.  This one is pretty simple to make yourself.  Also, you could use clothespins to move from one area to the next (to do to done).  

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee, can you keep track of your husband’s activities? It seems like relying on his memory would be a problem.

I was thinking you could use brightly colored key rings or tags to hang on the bathroom door - maybe red for something not done and green if it has been done.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono: Wonderful idea. Maybe could be put on the inside door of the medicine cabinet and I could help DH keep it checked.

Now- I need help- what words to use for product search. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@ Montana: Totally agree but his primary care doctor and psychologist want to keep DH active and involved with his daily routine. Some days, DH like normal and no memory issues. We can be watching tv with everything great and he exits the den to go to the kitchen and return to the den with a look on his face like completely confused. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee

Do you or your DH have an iPad or Smartphone?

There is an app you might like, by Snapps-  iDo hygiene

Image result for daily routine hygiene app  + autism

I just searched for a few things:

hygiene to do list + autism

daily routine hygiene app  + autism

daily visual schedule + autism

daily illustrated hygiene tasks for kids

daily reminder hygiene tasks for kids

Esteemed Contributor

If he doesn't remember if he showered, I doubt he would remember to use one of these.  

Do you have something you could put over, or near the shower door that he would need to move, so YOU would know if he had showered?  Can you tell by his towel?  Put a short ribbon across it that would fall when he removed it to dry off?  Just a crude idea.  

They have alarms that when the door is moved, it plays a chime song.  The big A has them.  

Just thinking outloud....

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono: Wow! Thank you. I have an IPad. Tried to get DH interest with a few games but refuses to use it. Daily DH will complete the word games in the newspaper. Had a smart phone that he refused to use, plus it was too smart for me!  Purchased a Jitterbug flip phone for emergencies that he likes. I put ( ice) on the home phone number and he wanted to know what that was because he thought that meant that I was from the ice age and right now I feel that old. I will be 64 this month. Southern Bee