Honored Contributor

Suggestions for products to help post personal needs completed daily

[ Edited ]

I am very stressed and can’t express self clearly. DH has multiple health issues including memory and confusion that are related with  depression and military issues. We are both disabled retired. My memory issues are age related. DH can’t always remember if he has showered or shaved. Our hall bathroom is used for DH and visitors. I put in our bathroom closet a dry erase board but if touched in wrong spot everything gets erased. I put a regular calendar with each day placed with area to check shower or shaved. But still difficult for DH. Really need something simple. Do not want to embarrass DH and have anything for visitors to see. I know to google or other research but can’t come  up with correct words to research. I pray that someone can understand me and help. Southern Bee 

XXX- please forgive me: posted twice. Southern 

Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestions for products to help post personal needs completed daily

Is there a place where a magnet can go or you can hang something color coded? Maybe a green side means done and a red side means not done yet? Or even black and white sides, if he's color-blind.

My parents have a magnet on the dishwasher with "Clean" and "Dirty" on it and a bar that slides over so only one is revealed at a time. If you use color coding, then visitors don't have to know what the colors mean.

Super Contributor

just a suggestion I would keep the hall bathroom for your husband and have visitors go upstairs if necessary so as to keep his privacy. I keep my DH medical calendar in the kitchen common area near the phone where we both can see it and check it often.

Honored Contributor

If you can put a calendar page or one sent in the mail to you, in the closet, with a pen, you can have him code write in, SD for shaved and SR for Shower.  He can post it each day or you can for him. Turn it so only one side can be seen.  When it's time to put the initials in, write it and put it back in the little closet faced against the wall.

@SouthernBee

Honored Contributor

Do you have a friend or family member that could come in the mornings and make sure he has everything done, then leave?  Or could you hire someone?  Its seems to me that since hubby is ex-military that he would qualify for some type of home health aid.  I think something like that would be more help to both of you.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can you not tell from his wet towel whether he has showered?  My husbands towel is always very wet after he showers.   

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland: Geat idea because wanted something simple. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@Dominosmom: only other bath is 1/2 bathroom in the den area . DH keeps that area cluttered like a hoarder and not easy access. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal: Tried the regular calendar like you mentioned and DH not happy. Trying to put something on the inside of the medicine cabinet. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie: Great suggestions. His primary care doctor and the psychologist prefer that DH stays active and help himself as much as possible. Need doctor statements to get home help. DH does not like strangers in the house. He will not let me in the bathroom with him. Door knobs have been changed where he can’t lock himself in. Southern Bee