Honored Contributor

Sugary drinks, including 100% fruit juices, may raise cancer risk

[ Edited ]

I know this info is not new.....but more and more info is pointing to sugar and the relationship between cancer and sugar intake.

I personally eat no added sugar....and even limit my whole fruit. No honey, no sweetener of any kind. I eat no packaged food with sugar or with a high sugar content. 

Using 24-hour online food questionnaires, the researchers assessed the participants' consumption of 3,300 different kinds of foods and drinks. Furthermore, clinical observation of the participants continued for up to 9 years.

A 22% higher risk of breast cancer

Over the follow-up period, 2,193 people developed cancer for the first time; they were 59 years old at the time of diagnosis, on average. Among all these cases were 693 of breast cancer, 291 of prostate cancer, and 166 colorectal cancer.

The analysis revealed that for a daily increase of 100 milliliters in the intake of sugary drinks, the risk of overall cancer rose by 18%, and the risk of breast cancer increased by 22%.

When the researchers analyzed the risk for 100% fruit juices separately, these also elevated the risk of overall cancer and breast cancer. However, the study found no links with colorectal cancer or prostate cancer.

By contrast, diet drinks did not increase cancer risk. The scientists explain that people who consumed diet drinks did so in very small amounts, so they suggest interpreting this particular result with caution.

for much more:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325716.php

Honored Contributor

Re: Sugary drinks, including 100% fruit juices, may raise cancer risk

They raise your blood sugar for sure

Honored Contributor

Not afraid of fruit...In fact very healthy (sugary drinks are not in the same classification as whole fruits).  I won't consume meat/dairy for many reasons and one of them is disease that includes Cancer.  You will get arguments and can provide research that supports what ever anyone wants to think.  I respect everyone's opinion, but I know what is best for me and my family that has provided a healthy lifestyle for many years.

Respected Contributor

And they may not? If it wasn't proven by a solid scientific test (which it probably wasn't), I do not pay attention to it. Moderation is my password. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden What do you eat?

Honored Contributor

Not buying it.

1.  This study was an observational study...when it comes to nutritional intake, people are wildly inaccurate.

2. Processed sugar, albeit not healthy, is not the main cause of disease.

Fat was/is/always will be the main culprit.  

Even in the study it states,

Indeed, sugary drinks are convincingly associated with the risk of obesity, which in turn, is recognised as a strong risk factor for many cancers.”

What is the primary cause of obesity?  Fat. 

And if you’re consuming soft drinks, syrups, fruit drinks,

100% fruit juices without any added sugar*, milk-based sugary drinks,

sports drinks, and energy drinks (all regular & diet), there’s a greater

than zero chance your diet is pretty wheel’s off to begin with.

More than likely the diet will be 30/40/50+% of fat).

(I noted 100% fruit juices without any added sugar because there are

many raw vegans who consume fruit juices but their fat intake is

much, much lower than the SAD).

Cancer origins (and heart diesse, t2 diabetes, obesity, etc)

have a strong Fat/Lipid presence. 

It’s not the glass of orange juice for breakfast which is cause cancer.

It’s the eggs, bacon, milk, butter, grease....

Nope.

Not buying it for now.

Honored Contributor

I will add this to the discussion:

Family friend of 30 years does cancer research at Johns Hopkins Hospital. MD and PHD, he lectures and travels around the world but Baltimore is his home. We were discussing how many people we know who have died from cancer in my family, his family as well as my in-laws are cancer survivors (FIL just in the past 6 months).

His last comment to me and others in the discussion was "simply put, sugar feeds cancer. Since everything processed has sugar and it's the mainstay of our diet today, do the math".

I limit my fruit intake to low glycemic berries. I don't do fruit juices as they spike my blood sugar. Dried fruit in VERY limited amounts and always with nuts. I've heard this comment (sugar feeds cancer) for years now due to how many oncologists I've had to deal with.  

Honored Contributor

I am so happy to see this come out and the fact that they included natural sugar too.  The biggest problem is that cancer feeds off of sugar and goes off to the races.  

It's not easy to break yourself off of it but I think it's another one of the best things I ever did.  I have to watch my fruit.  Sometimes I can feel myself creeping back with cravings if I overdo it.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your body ultimately converts all carbohydrates into glucose, or blood sugar.  Carbohydrates that contain very little or no fiber are turned into glucose faster than carbohydrates that contain fiber. 

Fruit juice, honey, legumes, whole grains, fruits and vegetables all contain carbohydrates and eventually will  be turned into glucose. They may have nutrients, but they end up as sugar! Excess protein will also become glucose. 

“When you're short on carbs, glucose can be created from fat and protein in a process called gluconeogenesis. Gluconeogenesis takes place mostly in your liver, which also has the job of maintaining a steady amount of glucose in your blood.”

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 @SeaMaiden  Since 1997, when my first child was born, I have been told to LIMIT fruit juices to all my children to a few times a week and to ALWAYS cut them 50% with water. NEVER allow them to go to bed with fruit juice and always brush their teeth, give them a bottle of pure water AFTER having fruit juice.

That made me sit up and think "Holy Moly, what's up with fruit juice?!" The sugar content, that's what. It's natural but it doesn't mean it's good for you.