Respected Contributor

Re: Sugar and bread are not my friends.

@Katyq wrote:

Finally admitting this!

This is a good start.  For many of us, it's kind of like admitting to alcoholism.  Once you realize it, then you can decide to do something about it.  

I think it is the rare person who has enough self-control to go "cold turkey" or completely eliminate sugar and carbs.   It would be self-defeating for me if I eliminated it altogether, so the key for me has been controlling it.   I eat cleanly for breakfast and lunch, then allow myself a small amount of my favorite carbs at dinner, whether it's a small amount of bread or potatoes or pasta.  This way, I can look forward to the short-term reward each day.  Once a week, I will eat whatever I want.   This plan has kept me eating healthfully over 90% of the time for the past few years with excellent results.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Katyq wrote:

Finally admitting this!

This is a good start.  For many of us, it's kind of like admitting to alcoholism.  Once you realize it, then you can decide to do something about it.  

I think it is the rare person who has enough self-control to go "cold turkey" or completely eliminate sugar and carbs.   It would be self-defeating for me if I eliminated it altogether, so the key for me has been controlling it.   I eat cleanly for breakfast and lunch, then allow myself a small amount of my favorite carbs at dinner, whether it's a small amount of bread or potatoes or pasta.  This way, I can look forward to the short-term reward each day.  Once a week, I will eat whatever I want.   This plan has kept me eating healthfully over 90% of the time for the past few years with excellent results.

However one might tweak this in a minor way to accommodate their favorites, occasions, etc. I think it's the most practical way to live. Saying 'no no never' is self-defeating, to me. I want something I can live with permanently that allows for us to be human ;-) and this is the way I strive for, too.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Don't feel bad they're not really anyone's friends especially mine.  Gave up two teaspoons of sugar in my tea decades ago, soda too.  I was brought up with it.  I still eat bread but not like I did when I was younger.