Honored Contributor

Re: Sugar and bread are not my friends.

[ Edited ]

@Katyq wrote:

Finally admitting this!

@Katyq

Good for you!  Just cutting out these two foods from your diet will make a HUGE difference in your long term health outlook.  Lots of good options to substitute. Just be sure to always read the sugar content in any food you purchase that is in a can or a box. And read the ingredient label on everything to find hidden sugars added.

You can find foods with  no sugar added or reduced sugar content. Try to keep sugar grams per serving below 2 grams. Some foods have natural occuring sugars like milk products  and some vegetables. Those are not so much a concern. It is the ADDED SUGAR to the product you want to bypass.

Bread tastes good, but  with all the yeast  it causes yeast over growth in the body (candida) also, the flour is so easy for the body to absorb that is causes  the body to turn the grains into SUGAR. Another candidia culprit!   So,   If you have to have bread, at least eat a flourless   grain bread( just google it).  and do not eat a lot of that either.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Katyq wrote:

Finally admitting this!

Even whole grain bread? Sugar I get, good carbs? Not so much.

hckynut(john)

Hi john, For ME, good carbs mean the ones occurring in veggies, fruit, and nuts and some seeds.

Over time I have found that grains and sugars are TOO good- as I always say, "We are all different!"

YOUR good carbs apparently extend to whole grains, which is great! 

Trusted Contributor

You can have your whole grains-just skip the bread. Make, farro, spelt, quinoa, brown rice, etc. Add them to a salad, soups, etc. Sprinkle flax meal on yogurt-Add to smoothies.

Your bread craving will subside in time.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardensla wrote:

@granddi

I just make sure none of it comes into my house. At work I keep a jar of peanut butter (just ground up nuts, no added sugar or oil) and a spoon of that usually staves off the 3pm sugar craving.

Hi gardensia,

Nice idea! You made me think of the individual pouches of nut butters available too. I know they are more expensive, but it's also portion control.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I totally eliminated them, they stopped enticing me.

There are some very good foods available at present that are sweetened with erythritol, one of the two sweeteners I can live peacefully with. ( the other is stevia).

A black bean brownie once in a while is a true treat. It tastes divine, but doesn't cause me to want to eat the whole pan.

I was a binge-crave eater for about 50 years before I broke my addiction, and it still lives very close to me, but I know that I can keep it under control by eating for health and staying healthy for potential grandchildren.

It helps A LOT to have an incentive SO STRONG that it over rules a desire to do what you know will lead to unhealthy eating behavior.

A tip I read recently- when you feel yourself being overwhelmed by a craving, say to yourself, "I CAN and I WILL eat that whole triple frosted chocolate cake BUT.........NOT JUST NOW.

I'll eat it LATER".

And if you do this a few times, you realize that later, you can decide you don't WANT to binge after all. All I know is, this helps me.

Trusted Contributor

Even if you give up sugar for just 1 week, you'll notice a big difference. The cravings will be quite reduced (or eleminated).

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Sugar and bread are NO ones friends. The world would be a better place without either one of any type. Really.

I disagree. Whole unadulterated grains are very good sources of carbs. Because "some" have issues with them does not recatoragize them to, Bad for Everyone.

Any food eaten in excess can be deemed bad, but that does not change the nutritional value of it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Almost the entire Third World relies on bread and rice to survive.  I doubt they ever see any sugar.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I gave up just about all sugar right before the holidays.  I shocked myself a few weeks later with the weight I lost.  It was only four pounds but it's amazing how inflamed sugar makes you.  I haven't completely eliminated it (still have store bought dressing on my salads) but I have googled how to cut an avocado and that will soon be out the door too.  I've been rediscovering my Vitamix.

I do love bread.  I buy Ezekiel which is expensive but if I'm going to eat it, I figure it might as well be the healthiest kind I can get.   I've been flirting with giving it up but I just can't imagine breakfast without it.    

Honored Contributor

Having said that I do have sugar rarely and stick to artificial sweeteners for coffee, cereal, drinks, etc. - it is true that sugar is physically addicting, and it is true that if you stop eating it in the form of sweet desserts and other foods that are full of hidden (until you read the label) sugar, you will eventually lose the physical craving.

Many years ago now, when deprivation/minimal calorie diets were the norm, I swore off sugar. Of course I lost weight, but I also stopped missing sweets (physically at least, lol). I had been sugar-free for 2 months when, because it was holiday baking time, I ate a cookie at work. One single cookie. I had intense cravings for 2-3 days afterwards. That proved it to me. Not everyone has this physical addiction to sugar but it exists and is real.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all