Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sugar and bread are not my friends.

@granddi

I just make sure none of it comes into my house. At work I keep a jar of peanut butter (just ground up nuts, no added sugar or oil) and a spoon of that usually staves off the 3pm sugar craving.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

@luv-the-Q

You can go into your post and make corrections!

Use the three dot drop down feature at the upper right corner. In there you'll find an edit option.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

Sugar and bread are NO ones friends. The world would be a better place without either one of any type. Really.

Honored Contributor

No, I would not admit this.

I always say-"sugar is good for what ails you"

course I don't really believe this and I don't think I could give up bread-the fresh whole grain crusty kind with all kinds of seeds etc.

I just try to do my best and like they say-all things in moderation.

I've tried gluten free also and saw no significant results plus it can get very expensive. I do like vegetables and fruit and try to get as many unprocessed, non caramel coloring.  non-olestrin,  no carragean, not too much mercury etc etc things as possible while still being cruelty free-jeez! Sometimes its hard to find anything to eat!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

If you can give something up for 30 days it becomes much easier.  I know it's hard.  My two downfalls are beer and chocolate.  Everything else is a breeze.  

Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q

I admire you and it does sound hard. Thak you for the 30 day thing though-I have heard that before  but heard it in 20 days! Still you seem to have fortitude!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Trying to give up all sugar and all bread forever is pretty impossible for most people and means subsistence eating. Ugh.

Cutting way down on sugar, of course, is a good thing ;-)  It'll be different for everyone, but two things that satisfy my sweet tooth are yogurt & berries, and an apple or snack size apple slices.

Diabetics use artificial sweeteners or Stevia. Whatever you think of that (and I can sense the horror building), no one has died from it, and it allows you to eat some sweet things every once in a while. Think - *never* having anything sweet, or having something occasionally with an artificial sweetener. I'll take my chances.

Bread? You can have bread, you just have to be choosy about what kind. No refined flour, white bread. But whole grain is good. Whole wheat, it depends. A lot of chain supermarket whole wheat bread isn't a whole lot healthier than white bread. Look for breads with a lot of fiber. You can, depending on where you live, find lower carb bagels and English muffins. Mail order specialty places do all kinds of products.

There is hope 😎

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

This is old news.

Honored Contributor

If you want a structured 30 day program (to eliminate all known food allergens as well as things that aren't good for you in general), I recommend Whole30.  That's how I started. 

Once you eliminate every trace of sugar and trains (among other things) you no longer have a desire for it.

I did mine in November 2014 and haven't looked back.

I have never felt better.  I jump out of bed before my alarm almost every morning at around 5:15 like I'm shot out of a cannon.  That's all the motivation I need to keep going.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Salt and bread aren't my friends either..... Put a potato chip next to a cookie and I will take the chip!! Not good....and bread...I can eat several slices of fresh Italian bread in a heartbeat!

I slowly cut out bread and I limit myself to the lower salt chips to once a week.....feel so much better....