Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

Thank you so much!  Some might not find it hard, but for me it really has been!  I have not gotten over the craving for it, especially chocolate!  However, it's gotten easier!  I no longer think of it constantly like I did before!  I appreciate your kind words so much!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining 

Thank you!  I am not perfect- believe me!  But to go from where I was --- even I can't believe it!  I pray about it all the time!  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 

I absolutely agree!  I know people who say --- I couldn't care less about baked good, candy, etc.  I think --- oh, wow --- lucky you!  I don't really have any other additive habits that I can think of, but sugar is really an issue!  

Honored Contributor

@tansy 

I know some might say otherwise but if you live alone or live with someone who doesn't care about these things, it's so much easier to control it.  My DH always has all of this stuff around and let me tell you -- it is tough!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 

Oh, goodness --- really?  I've always had a sweet tooth, as far back as I can remember. We never had candy and a lot of this stuff around as a child and maybe as I got older, I just made up for not having it or something!  

@AngelPuppy1  

We owned a grocery store and little restaurant business, all connected with a sidewalk, as I was growing up.  My grandparents and mother had started the business around the time WWII ended.  There was a shortage of sugar and sweets in this country as Roosevelt had commanded sailors throw sugar overboard to make the citizens feel the effects of the war by getting rid of some of the pleasures and thereby support the war efforts.

So, as a grocer and restauranteer family, we had access to sugar following the war and had candy, etc., but my family did not allow us to indulge.  We wanted candy so badly.  I remember some little things called peanut butter logs and my sister and I once stole two when we were there and they were SOOOOOOO good.  

So, all my adult life I have craved sugar products since that day when we stole the peanut butter logs.

I too struggle with sugar addiction and have been known (since DH is diabetic) to sneak out and buy a pack of Skittles and eat the whole thing in one sitting while away from home.  I am a very sad sister craving sweets so bad I steal away time to eat them, like an alcoholic leaving home to drink with his/her buddies.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Me too, in the last year, I have gained 20 lbs, it was surprisingly easy. Why is it so much easier to gain than to lose?

I'm thinking of doing noom.

@happycat 

Same here.  I have gained 20 pounds during Covid because all I do is cook and think of high-calorie meals to cook.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday 

Thank you for sharing your story!  I understand completely.  We grew up pretty poor.  We had enough to eat, but it was not always things which I cared to eat or enjoyed.  And we rarely got sweets.  There was no money for extras.  When something sweet was desired, we had to settle for an apple, if that.  I always craved sweets, too!  So, later in life, I think I really went overboard and tried to satisfy my sweet tooth!  Over indulging, for sure!  I didn't realize it when I was young, but eating the way we did really kept our teeth healthy as we never got to go to the dentist and we had no cavities at all!  I know people say if you deprive yourselves of something, you will just go overboard and this is probably true to a certain extent.  Moderation is the key.  But lately I found that when it came to baked goods and candy, I was not happy or satisfied with just one piece of candy or one cookie.  I had to go cold turkey!  The pandemic made it worse for me.  So, now, I know I am not "cured" by any means.  Every day is a struggle.  I do have my weekly baked good.  And I know I will have candy eventually.  I just hope that I can control myself and be satisifed with a piece or two and only occasionally!  Don't beat yourself up over this!  You are trying to do good for your husband.  None of us is perfect and we're all just doing the best we can!  You are not a bad person because you want to have a sugary fix once in a while!  

Honored Contributor

It is so easy to gain weight and unbelievably hard to lose it! Especially as you get older.  When I was in my 20's, 30's, even early 40's, I could lose 5 lbs pretty quickly.  I am nearing age 69, and let me just say --- it is practically impossible --- at least for me.  I will not starve myself any longer --- I just can't --- I feel ill when I have tried, and also I have to take too many medications --- it just doesn't work for me.  Plus, I know realistically that's not healthy.  I don't drink alcohol, except for special occasions, or rarely.  So, this is not really an issue.  Cutting out desserts and candy is a way to start losing weight and helping with health issues for me.  I try to watch some of the other things I am eating, but I am not as careful as I possibly could be.  If sugar were not a horrible thing in and of itself, I could live on that alone!  Real food -- I can take it or leave it!  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  LOL! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sugar = Addicted!

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1   It is hard work.  You are doing great, down ten pounds!  Just want to give you a word of encouragement especially over Easter.  You know yourself and what is best for you and have benefited from your efforts.  

Many of us have food triggers...one bite can reinstate the cravings. Bodies respond differently and some people can practice moderation..  Knowing our triggers and how we respond is the key to success.  For me, it is cold turkey....so I'm right there with you. The good news, as you have found, is the less you indulge the less you desire. This journey is a lifetime commitment.   

Wishing you the best for continuing success!

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@happycat wrote:

Me too, in the last year, I have gained 20 lbs, it was surprisingly easy. Why is it so much easier to gain than to lose?

I'm thinking of doing noom.

@happycat 

Same here.  I have gained 20 pounds during Covid because all I do is cook and think of high-calorie meals to cook.

Me too. Then this past week, I had the big idea to just eat cereal for supper, and eat early by 5. Do you know I ate cherrios with skim milk sweetened with splenda (I love Cherrios) for supper every night, other than a cheeseburger for lunch one day, I ate regularly. And I didn't lose any weight. Still 190. This is ridiculous. 

This is why some people's scales end up in the backyard.