Honored Contributor

This is something I struggle with and maybe some of you do as well!  This is somewhat a tongue in cheek post, if you will, but is also factual for me!  

I kind of went off the deep end over the holidays --- feasting merrily on cake, cookies, pies, candies, donuts --- you name it --- I enjoyed it --- a lot!  

Do I know it's not good for me to do this?  Yes, of course I do!  Do I know that it's just a lot of useless calories and fat?  You bet I do!  Have I gained extra baggage beause of it?  Naturally!

I know that anything in moderation is not harmful.  Just a bit of this or a touch of that is fine.  However, sometimes with some of us (speaking of myself) once a bite of this touches the mouth, we (meaning me) find it practically impossible to control ourselves and end up having many, many bits and touches of said sugary product!

Over the past 2 1/2 weeks, I have stopped cold turkey!!!  I tried the "just a bit of this or touch of that" approach and I failed miserably!  Like a person who is addicted to anything, I find it impossible to stop at a little!  The first few days were horrible!  Now, I'm doing well.  Do I miss the sugary morsels?  Well, yes and no.  But my eyes no longer glaze over when I see a donut or a cookie, etc!  

Many say denial is not a healthy approach!  But to some of us, it's how we must conquer the beast!  I think as times passes, perhaps a bit or touch might be possible --- occasionally!  

Anyone have similar experiences with a sugar addiction?

As I have said --- please don't take all this too seriously as it is written tongue in cheek, but is also my factual experience with sugar! Woman Wink

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Years ago Phil Donahue asked the question,"what is the most addictive substance?".

Answer: sugar!

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

Oh, goodness --- really?  I've always had a sweet tooth, as far back as I can remember. We never had candy and a lot of this stuff around as a child and maybe as I got older, I just made up for not having it or something!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Could also be considered "the forbidden fruit".

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

Good for you, @AngelPuppy1 ! Sugar is so hard to break!

I was amazed at my granddaughter yesterday. I had made carmel popcorn - brown sugar & butter, and it was not overly coated. But she said she didn't like the brown part. That was the sugar!  She's done the same thing with chocolate. Even the dark, which is the only thing I offer.

I never did a total cut-out, but I've reduced sugar way, way down, especially white sugar. After a while, you really get to dislike when anything is sweet, or, overly sweet.

Are you also finding any other benefits?

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

This is something I struggle with and maybe some of you do as well!  This is somewhat a tongue in cheek post, if you will, but is also factual for me!  

I kind of went off the deep end over the holidays --- feasting merrily on cake, cookies, pies, candies, donuts --- you name it --- I enjoyed it --- a lot!  

Do I know it's not good for me to do this?  Yes, of course I do!  Do I know that it's just a lot of useless calories and fat?  You bet I do!  Have I gained extra baggage beause of it?  Naturally!

I know that anything in moderation is not harmful.  Just a bit of this or a touch of that is fine.  However, sometimes with some of us (speaking of myself) once a bite of this touches the mouth, we (meaning me) find it practically impossible to control ourselves and end up having many, many bits and touches of said sugary product!

Over the past 2 1/2 weeks, I have stopped cold turkey!!!  I tried the "just a bit of this or touch of that" approach and I failed miserably!  Like a person who is addicted to anything, I find it impossible to stop at a little!  The first few days were horrible!  Now, I'm doing well.  Do I miss the sugary morsels?  Well, yes and no.  But my eyes no longer glaze over when I see a donut or a cookie, etc!  

Many say denial is not a healthy approach!  But to some of us, it's how we must conquer the beast!  I think as times passes, perhaps a bit or touch might be possible --- occasionally!  

As I have said --- please don't take all this too seriously as it is written tongue in cheek, but is also my factual experience with sugar! Woman Wink

Me!

Esteemed Contributor

It's a real struggle for me also. The smallest thing can set me off. My mind screams EAT THE COOKIE!  It never goes away either. It's an addiction just like drugs or alcohol. I fight it daily. I went crazy over the holidays now I got to retrain myself to not go there. ❤️

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  - Gretchen Rubin is an author who writes a lot about habits.  She said most people are either abstainers or moderators when it comes to forbidden foods.  You usually know which one you are.

Esteemed Contributor

Me too, in the last year, I have gained 20 lbs, it was surprisingly easy. Why is it so much easier to gain than to lose?

I'm thinking of doing noom.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I did the same as you!  I overindulged on holiday sweets for too long and NY weekend I cleaned out the fridge and threw out all of the junk food (what was left) away!

I've been buying a lot of produce and have been eating much better now.  I've been juicing and trying to eat a lot of fresh salads, steamed & roasted veggies.  I have no bread in the house and have reduced grains and pasta. 

I'm trying to stick with a low carb way of eating and I  feel a lot better....hope you do too!