Regular Contributor

Submandibular gland, salivary gland

Hi I have recently started posting in forums and have found everyobes advice and sharing welcoming. Has anyone had an Submandibular gland, salivary gland issue? I have been dealibg with this for 3 months very painful. Been back and forth ENT, Dentist, CT scans, MRI you name it. Any experiences with this? Thank you
Frequent Contributor

Re: Submandibular gland, salivary gland

@QFashion Hi there. So very sorry you are having to endure painful salivary gland, submandibular issues.  I will tell you that I had the same thing start out of nowhere and, you are right, it's terribly painful.  Please look up Sjogren's Syndrome and see if anything fits with what you are going through.  I have Sjogren's Syndrome as a definitive diagnosis via two biopsies and blood test results from that point forward. 

i am happy to answer any questions you may have; however, this is not a medical diagnosis or consultation...just a snapshot of my issue.

Sending you prayers for a quick resolution ❤️

Honored Contributor

Not personally but after 30 years of working as a medical coder and health information professional; I know that people do indeed suffer with submandibular and salivary gland issues.  Stones in the salivary gland is a big one.  

Honored Contributor

I have had salivary gland issues for a couple years.  No fun, I can tell you that!  I first got terrible pain in the side of my neck and a huge bump formed which was like a tennis ball!  So much pain I couldn't stand it and didn't know wha was happening.  I went to the ER and got some tests and they told me I had this salivary gland issue.  I then made appt. for an ENT and they did some tests and they said something about stones and did some maneuvers which were very painful.  They told me to use heat, drink a ton of fluids, suck on lemon drops and if the issue got a lot worse and persisted, a medical procedure could be done.  I haven't gone that route.  Mine waxes and wanes but thankfully has not gotten as bad as it was in the beginning.  Good luck and hope hours gets better!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

I had a oral fibroma, benign, removed about 4 years ago. Unfortunately it was on my salivary gland...one of the most painful surgeries I've ever had.  They think it all started from a simple biting of the inner cheek; which typically goes away for most people, mine decided to grow and grow to the point it was affecting my speech. I still have trouble with it from time to time, even though the fibroma was removed.  My mouth gets very dry and I need to suck on lemon drops and massage that area.  I see some here have mentioned Sjogrens...I believe I was tested and it was negative, but it does make me wonder as I have consistently had a high ANA for several years.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Regular Contributor

@EarthAngel, Chrystaltree,AngelPuppy1, hi thank you for your responses. Yes I was cleared fir Sjogrens, no stones. Very similiar to you AngelPuppy1. ENT is testing every route! It is very difficult to swallow at times also. I hope you all also feel better soon. @EarthAngel yes it did start out if nowhere, FNA is next. Thank you all again.
Regular Contributor

@Karie2022, so sorry you went thru that, it must have been painful. Yes lemon drops as my mouth gets so dry but it's also the throat. So now a Endoscopy needs to be done also. Thank you for your response.
Super Contributor

@QFashion  A few years ago, all of a sudden, I had swelling and pain on the side of my face from next to my eye down the cheek and chin and down the side of my throat (only one side).  I was terrified -- didn't know what was happening.  Ran to the local urgent care and they didn't know but sent me immediately for a catscan.  It was diagnosed as Sialadenitis.  I was given instructions for massage, heat, lemon drops and found very good videos on Youtube.  I followed up with the ENT.  It comes and goes -- thank goodness not too frequently.  And, I know what to do when it starts and it takes care of it.  Wishing you the best to find relief.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QFashion wrote:
Hi I have recently started posting in forums and have found everyobes advice and sharing welcoming. Has anyone had an Submandibular gland, salivary gland issue? I have been dealibg with this for 3 months very painful. Been back and forth ENT, Dentist, CT scans, MRI you name it. Any experiences with this? Thank you

@QFashion @I think you might find this information very helpful.

Its from Cedars Sinai and it explains things very well. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwianKzkvrmBAxU9lWoFHcdrCq0Q...

Regular Contributor

@BrklynKinsey...thank you for sharing your experience. It us terrifying at first. That was how mine started, 3 months in and keeps reacurring. Sialadenitis same instructions.Fine Needle Aspiration next. Did you find it difficult to eat?