Respected Contributor

Re: Stupid Question for women 65+

funny you should ask.

just this past saturday, i was shopping in the mall with my bff. (i am 65, she is in her 70's and we are both retired)

she asked me if i had any 'jackets' still in my wardrobe. i told her i have a really casual knit blazer that i wear now and then, and i have a really pretty pink jacket (kind of like the joan rivers ones) ... and she told me that she had one like that too, and she hates that she never has anywhere to wear it anymore.

we decided to get all dressed up some time soon and wear those jackets!

i think if we have the clothes still in our closet and we like them and enjoy wearing them, then we should just go ahead and wear them. even if it is to the grocery store! haven't you ever seen a really nicely dressed woman in heels and a jacket/dress walking through the store (obviously on her way somewhere but also obviously NOT doing her weekly shopping) ...

New Contributor

I had exactly the same issue. Decided to try to force myself to buy the same quality casual clothes as I used to buy for work. Haven't completely suceeded, but I do feel attractive and stylish in my new lifestyle. Of course, now I'm running out of dressier clothes!
Trusted Contributor

I retired in mid-2013 because of some health issues. Since I became ill and moved on to the next phase of my life, I learned that life has become very casual. As a result, since I moved a few months ago, I have donated many of my nice outfits and begun thinking of this new life. I have fewer outfits, much less jewelry, and more casual coats. I have replaced lots of make-up with more skin care. A friend who retired before me advised waiting until at least six months after I retired to make decisions. Her retirement is more social than mine, so she still needs lots of fancier outfits. I learned quickly that I enjoyed the more casual lifestyle. Hence, I donated more than half of my wardrobe.
Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 AnnaBella said: I might leave the house once, twice a week. Costco, grocery store....no need for fancy duds. Casual, comfortable, simple pair of earrings....done. No parties or temple or cruises as the hosts and vendors bring up. THANK-GOD!
That sounds like me. I did a couple of cruises but probably won't do another.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

When I first retired from the corporate world, I spent a couple of years going on buying "sprees" for casual clothes... jeans, jean jackets, tops, boots, you name it. I had always spent most of my money on clothes for work, and didn't have time to do a lot that only required casual dressing. So I went overboard. And I must confess, even though I had owned a jewelry business at one time (really good "high fashion jewelry", not the real thing) and had bags full of samples left over, I went on a jewelry buying spree as well, only it was things like real turquoise & silver, Carolyn Pollack type pieces, lots of rings, watches, etc.

But I just couldn't let go of my "corporate" wardrobe... I kept jackets, suits, pants, shoes, most of which I will never wear again. And I'm still really tempted to buy those kinds of clothes. I think it may have something to do with the way we identified ourselves in the work world... it was a lifetime thing for me, and I was entering a totally different part of my life. It was somewhat of a shock. I'm just now starting to get rid of the pieces I no longer need, and trying to make more room in my closets for the new things I bought! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Honored Contributor

It's a habit, now that you've realized this, you can pause before you buy and rethink it.

Honored Contributor

I have been retired 8 years - I wore scrubs to work. I was more than a little happy to give those ugly things away to a friend who still works.Now, because I live in Fl, I have little need for any winter clothes, and I rarely dress up. Dress up for me now is a t shirt dress or or a pair of dress slacks and a nice blouse for church. I enjoy the freedom of being very casual.

Honored Contributor

If you have lovely clothes and enjoy buying and wearing them DO IT! My mom always dressed like Joan Rivers even when she went to the grocery store or post office. She might pair a beautiful jacket with jeans, or wear them with a t-shirt and nice pants.

I applaud anyone who enjoys looking put together!

Frequent Contributor

Rina, this is not a stupid question and I totally get where you are at! I am 61 and planning to retire at 66. I work in NYC in a field where I have to dress well. I have a closet full of work-appropriate clothing and I love shopping and buying clothes. I know I won't have any need for dressy outfits when I retire, but I wonder how I'm gonna be able to refrain from buying stuff I won't wear. Everybody's thoughts on this subject have been very interesting to me.

Super Contributor

I'm 55 years old and I retired 7 years ago. I was in the medical field but I was in the administration department and had to dress nicely everyday. No scrub suits. I've always enjoyed dressing nicely even during my non working hours. Now that my life is at a much slower pace, I still dress nicely. For instance, I had to run a few errands and go to the grocery yesterday. My makeup was on, hair done nicely, fingernails manicured, had on a black maxi dress with an animal print infinity scarf. Medium size gold "coin type" earring, nice watch. I always get stopped on my outings by ladies and a few gentlemen that compliment me on the way I look. Personally I do not like the look of sweat pants, yoga pants, pj bottoms, sloppy tshirts and the like. I think our nation and society in general have become too casual. I was watching an old Cary Grant movie the other night on TMC. The scene was in the dining car of a train. The ladies were dressed in gorgeous dresses, some wearing hats. The men had suits on. I long for those days to return.