Respected Contributor

Re: Stupid New Insurance Wellness BS

@tansy  The only reason I agree to the Wellness exam (where the dr. no longer touches you) is I'm afraid if I refuse, I'll be dropped as a patient.  It could happen.

That is the appointment any labs or testing is ordered though.  So they sort of have most of us penned in for them.

A person could argue it either way I suppose.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Even back when I had good insurance with work I have been getting blood draws every 6 months.  Picky doctor!  

I am very unhappy with UH.  I was on the Advantage Plan  (all work offered retirees) then finally could switch to the PPO plan and all along they constantly send me phone messages and e-mails and everything else wanting to come to my house!!!!  

Really?  No way!  How intrusive is that and how uncomfortable would that be? Why are they desperate to get into my house?

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner   Medicine is no longer a profession it is a business.  It has been since the bean counters got involved.

Valued Contributor

I have had a Medicare Advantage PPO plan from United Health Care (UHC) since 2019. I worked in health care, in and out of the clinical world, from 2000 through late 2018 when I retired. The 2nd half of this time was performing pre-authorization for a very large insurance company that was a competitor of UHC. I have seen all the 'jumping through hoops" patients go through to get their care or care for their family. I knew when I left what insurance I wanted. 

There are things about (UHC) that irk me. If one doesn't want to take their calls, simply don't. Tell them not to interfere. Many irritations are Medicare enforced. I don't really see our government stepping to protect seniors either. Many of us, myself included, need insurance coverage.

Esteemed Contributor

@kindred cats   I consider the threat of being dropped being blackmailed in a way.

You should have a say in your medical treatment. Period.

They can have a patient sign a waiver that whatever was explained, what they advised and the patient declined.  Their butt is covered.

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 recommend you call pharmacist about being out of meds.  maybe they can help you get a few until you get new prescription.  i'm sorry you are having these problems.  please do not go without BP med.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I have a Medicare Advantage Plan through Blue Cross.  It's been great.  They have sent me notices about coming to my house, and I just ignore them.  

They have called me about going over my medications, and I didn't answer the phone.  One time they caught me off guard and I answered.  I told them that my doctor goes over my medications with me and I didn't want to discuss it with them.  They tried to discuss it some more, and I asked them not to call me about that anymore.  They haven't.

They pay very well, and I haven't had a problem getting any procedure approved.  My medicines are very inexpensive with my plan.  Most are $1 for 90 days, and some are $10 for 90 days.  

I mainly replied to tell you that you absolutely do not have to agree to have them come to your house.  That's ridiculous.  It's not a requirement.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

After my BF was seriously ill and we had supplies delivered to treat his incisions and bedsore, I realized what a racket it was. The company would automatically deliver items without checking first - when it was covered by insurance - and refuse to take any unopened delivered boxes back.........until one day I blew up at them.....really lost my temper........and they took an unopened box back. I'm sure there was no insurance company payment adjustment but they also got the message. 

Honored Contributor

If they want to do a home wellness check, we're okay with it. However, there is so much lacking in medical care these days, that it's downright scary. I cannot imagine what happens to confused elderly patients who are figuratively put on a conveyor belt and sent through the system without adequate follow up.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

just wondering did you select Aetna Medicare plan?

They robo sales calls every other day wanting to send for ME a nurse to "review my health and welfare", get my Rx from CVS and visit my dr once every 90 days...totally annoying since I take nexium no other drugs.  They are a marketing company calling.

YET my spouse who is truly ill they've never called🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️