Esteemed Contributor

Stupid New Insurance Wellness BS

DH and I I had UnitedHealth Care for years when he worked. It was great insurance. We both then went on Medicare and had United on and above Medicare. It was $96 a month for each of us.

DH died and I got the $96 cost for a year and it jumped to $300. OK, did that. Last year it was going to Advantage Plan. The price wasn't given when it was announced.

Went to another Advantage Plan. DH's brother and his wife have same thing and were happy with it. I met with someone and decided on the same as DH's relatives. $122 per month, UnitedHealth ended up being $160+.

I take BP pills, nothing else. New insurance has a bunch of wellness BS. Had Dr. appt today because I hadn't been there and no go on renewing BP scripts without hiking 30 miles round trip.  got there, I wasn't on the schedule. What?  Made me get blood taken (never, ever had to before) and see the idiot Dr. next week before I can get my scripts. I am completely out of one of them.

Nothing like having your prescriptions held hostage.

I hate drs., ins. companies.  I am half tempted to tell them to go p*ss up a rope. So much for having a say in your healthcare.

Last week I got a call about nurse visiting. I told the thanks, but no.  Former SIL said it part of their freakin wellness plan. Go over meds, take BP etc. If I'm sick I'll call you, otherwise back off.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Stupid New Insurance Wellness BS

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Sorry for all that frustration.

I signed up for a different rx program for this year & could not believe all the hoops they wanted me to go through.  I received 6-10 phone calls from them weekly telling me that I had to do this/that & something else, they wanted me to do mail order pharmacy even though I have a great relationship w/my pharmacy & like you mentioned they wanted to do in person visits - finally I wrote to their management person, explained all this & said if I need something I will call you, otherwise do not contact me ever.

Valued Contributor

That  is so dangerous to just stop the BP pills, you could stroke out,

I tell you ,these doctors just don't care anymore, especially here in Fl.

We still rely on  our doctors from up North to refill our scripts,

I broke my pelvis in 3 places plus broke my femur,

They said no surgery would be needed, sent me home with a walker, 

I asked them about PT, they said none needed...

Oh yes, told me to rake Tylenol as needed.

Can't wait to get out of here!

Yes, we have United Health Care too...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went through the annual home visit only once. If you are on most of the Medicare plans, they do the memory test. BP, etc.  and ask what meds you are on...shouldn't they already know that since they are paying for part of it and I can't it if they don't authorize it? The worst, they sent a male nurse and DH was at work. I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life. He also pointed out I needed to get rid of the rug in my foyer because it was a fall hazard and was eyeing other things, including the stairs. I don't do the stairs unless DH is home and I rarely use them anyway due to my vision. I am not feeble and know enough not to have scatter rugs I told him I had to go out for another appt so he took the hint and wrapped things up. If I had known a man would be coming we would have arranged it so DH could be there. That was two years ago when I was with Humana. My pension provider has been changing Medicare advantage plans through insurance companies every other year it seems. So far, have been with four big companies in 8 yrs. Aetna, Humana, United, BC/BS. Am not in love with any of them

Esteemed Contributor

@colleena   It is down right silly and a racket.

I have been in this body for 72 years.  If I feel something is wrong I'll call.

I hate being forced to do something I don't want to do.  

Between my hubby being ill (2015) and my 2 joint replacements I have spent more time in dr. offices, hospitals and waiting rooms in the last few years than I did in the previous 65 years of my life.

Respected Contributor

If I run out of a medicine and have to wait to see the dr. I am always given enough meds until I see the dr. This is only my opinion based on talks with people in the medical field, if you can help it do not sign up for medical insurance with the word " advantage" in its name. Too many strings attached to what you have to go through and the coverage is never that good. Good luck

Esteemed Contributor

@pieman  I still have Metoprolol (sp) and Lisinapril I'm taking.  Am out of fluid pill a whopping 12.5 mg.  I told them I was out.  Oh well.

My Dr. olf 40 years retired and the bird they got in there is terrible. He had a really good PA I saw but he left a couple months ago.

I guess I have to find a new Dr. but that doesn't solve the PITA insurance wellness *rap.

Respected Contributor

I would definitely call the Doctor again.

I would tell them I have NO blood pressure medicine and TELL them they should call the drug store to give me the medication for the days I need to have them BEFORE seeing the doctor.

The doctor can do this and so can the drug store and prescription company.

INSIST and do not take no for an answer.

It is only a few pills you need, and you DO need them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't have a wellness test when I started Medicare. I go to my physician for an annual exam, and am not charged for it. Maybe it's considered wellness , but am not sure. 

Never had anyone call me or come to my house for a home visit. IMO much of that is BS.  I'm glad I didn't have to go through anything like that.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Not sure if this would work for you or not but one reason I'm still w/my one pharmacy is that if there's a problem w/my rx refill for whatever reason (doctor hasn't approved refill, pharmacy hasn't received their delivery, insurance issue) they will give me so many pills to last me until hopefully the issue is worked out. 

I sure hope something like this could be worked out for you.