Super Contributor

Stung by a yellow jacket this morning....ouch

It's been 9 hours since I was stung and this thing still stings.  At first it made a little welt and I iced it for about 20 mnutes.   Now it's a large welt, pink not red, but it's killing me.  Anyone have experience with yellow jacket stings?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Stung by a yellow jacket this morning....ouch

I do. They are nasty. If you have any meat tenderizer at home, make a pasted with it, and water. It will neutralize the venom

Respected Contributor

YES I do! I have quite a few hummingbird feeders in my yard so for years I have endured a few stings every year. Get yourself (ASAP) a jar of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer and the very first thing whenever you get stung is run like crazy and make a paste with it and cover the sting thick. The meat tenderizer (pineapple) neutrallizes the enzyme in the yellowjacket poison....and it really works! It would probably even help you now (a long time after your stingin') but Adolph's is a staple in our First Aid kit . So go get some Adolph's and ease the itchty stickies that's unfortunately in store. So sorry for your yellowjacket experience.

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  They hurt, and for me, there is always localized swelling and pain for a few days.  Yellowjackets not only sting, they bite!

But they are really great for the ecosystem (yellowjackets). 

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I do. They are nasty. If you have any meat tenderizer at home, make a pasted with it, and water. It will neutralize the venom

Do this and take Benadryl if you have any or some kind of antihistamine.

Trusted Contributor

A few summers ago I had a number of them get trapped in my pant leg and they were very angry they could not find their way out so I received multiple stings.  I was miserable for many days.  I feel for you!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@seaswirl  I read that Soy sauce helps burns and stings. I haven’t tried it yet. 

They make a Benadryl roll on for stings,and after bite that I send the granddaughter to Camp with. 

I have a gentle waves professional collagen boosting machine that I use for mosquito & tick bites. (Made for the face but heals also). They heal 3 times faster. (Wish I could let you use it)!

Aloe plants help heal and are cool. 

I hope it’s better soon!

Esteemed Contributor

@seaswirl. I was stung on the palm right below the index finger of my right hand 2 weeks ago.

I went right into the house and flooded my hand with cold tap water for a couple of minutes. While standing there I was trying to remember my first aid. Boy, that bugger hurt like a sumbitch!

I remembered something about baking soda, and shook some into my wet hand, pressed it onto the sting, and elevated my hand over my head for a couple of hours. The baking soda seemed to help.

Expect it to swell a bit and hurt a lot for about a week.  😪  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Yes.  They hurt, and for me, there is always localized swelling and pain for a few days.  Yellowjackets not only sting, they bite!

But they are really great for the ecosystem (yellowjackets). 

YES!  They like to take a taste, don't they?!