Respected Contributor

Study links e-cigarettes to incurable disease called 'Popcorn Lung

E-cigarettes are often touted as a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes, but according to a study released by the Harvard School of Public Health, they may just pose a different threat than their nicotine-filled counterparts.

According to the study, 75 percent of flavored e-cigarettes and their refill liquids were found to contain Diacetyl, "a flavoring chemical linked to cases of severe respiratory disease" such as the incurable condition called "Popcorn Lung."

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/12/09/study-links-e-cigarettes-to-incurable-disease-called-popcorn-l...

I'm glad I quit smoking....

Respected Contributor

Re: Study links e-cigarettes to incurable disease called 'Popcorn Lung

This is going to get interesting..,

Honored Contributor

Thanks. I will pass this info to my best friend. She has smoked for years & started using one of those last year so she could stop smoking. When I see her she puffs on it quite a bit because she still needs that cigarette. Surely they can find a flavoring to use that's not chemical. Wonder how many people using these things knows anything about this.

Honored Contributor

These things are no solution to smoking tobacco cigarettes for many more reasons.  Inhaling chemicals is not any better.  No one is kicking anything with the things.

And they can blow up literally in your face.  Why would anyone choose to inhale the chemicals in these things?  Don't use these as a crutch or thinking you're going to 'kick' the smoking habit because you are not.

Trusted Contributor

I quit smoking thanks to e-cigs, and yes, I still vape.  But..........not all e-liquids are the same, and not all contain Diacetyl.  In fact the brand I use specifically says, "Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl Free".  That is NOT to say that there may be other long term effects, but I still think they are worlds better for you than cigarettes!

Super Contributor

Hi Nitestar! Where do you get your e-liquids or what brand do you buy? I don't smoke...never have, but I am looking for some non-chemical, nicotine-free e-liquids to add my essential oils to for respiratory complaints like colds and such. Much more precise delivery than a room vaporizer. If I cannot find chemical-free, I may have to use water only if I can. I am new to any attempt to vape, so we shall see if I can use it for the purposes I am thinking about.

Trusted Contributor

I get mine from Halo......just google Halo e-cigs.  I would post a link, but the board police would probably delete the post.  And they do have a "0" nicotine strength.

Honored Contributor

Oh good grief ...... and people will want to sue because smoking made them sick !!!     Oi vey.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

E-cigarettes are often touted as a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes, but according to a study released by the Harvard School of Public Health, they may just pose a different threat than their nicotine-filled counterparts.

According to the study, 75 percent of flavored e-cigarettes and their refill liquids were found to contain Diacetyl, "a flavoring chemical linked to cases of severe respiratory disease" such as the incurable condition called "Popcorn Lung."

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/12/09/study-links-e-cigarettes-to-incurable-disease-called-popcorn-l...

I'm glad I quit smoking....

I am glad I never started! yikes.