Honored Contributor

Re: Study Says Drugs Linked to Dementia

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady 

I have read that while dementia is not directly a genetic factor, it can and does, happen to many that have some connection to their genetic predispositions. Causes more prominent seem to be more connected to lifestyle, and environmental factors.  Does this rule genetics completely out as a cause? Not in my opinion.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

The Mayo clinic has information about this on their web page.

Free, no need to login.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom , does hydroclorohthiazide really cause diabetes?  I start taking it tomorrow for slight edema in my ankles.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newjersey wrote:

@sidsmom , does hydroclorohthiazide really cause diabetes?  I start taking it tomorrow for slight edema in my ankles.

Don’t know why I was tagged but here goes.

Saw where it’s a Diuretic.

The majority of doctors just treat the symptom.

I would ask him:

Why do I have edema in my ankles? Let’s treat the cause so

I don’t have edema in my ankles. 

@newjersey 

Where was it stated that hydroclorohthiazide causes diabetes?

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@newjersey wrote:

Don’t know why I was tagged but here goes.

Saw where it’s a Diuretic.

The majority of doctors just treat the symptom.

I would ask him:

Why do I have edema in my ankles? Let’s treat the cause so

I don’t have edema in my ankles. 

@sidsmom- you were tagged because you posted this:

C20D15A2-BCD1-40FD-8F2E-F7477C16B2AD.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom , my doctor told me if you have Alzheimer’s in your family, you have a 50% higher risk of having it so heredity does play a role.  LM

Honored Contributor

@newjersey HCTZ does NOT cause diabetes. Diabetes is a failure of your pancreas which results in high blood sugar levels which can desensitize your cell receptors and has zero to do with a medication that pulls water from your body to lower your blood pressure. You'd be hard pressed to find any legitimate medical professional who agrees with that. If you need HCTZ, please do the right thing by your health and take care of yourself.

As for Alzheimer's, there is an APOE 4 Gene that does raise your risk for the disease. 25% of us have one raising our risk genetically and 2% of us have two raising our risk further. If you want to know, 23andMe will tell you. There are lifestyle and nutrition avenues you can take to protect yourself. Half of all Alzheimer's cases do not have the gene at all and people with the gene or two may never develop it.
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

These are the ones people are most likely to encounter since they are available OTC:

• Chlorpheniramine (Actifed, Allergy & Congestion Relief, Chlor-Trimeton, Codeprex, Efidac-24 Chlorpheniramine, etc.)
  • Diphenhydramine (Advil PM, Aleve PM, Bayer PM, Benadryl, Excedrin PM, Nytol, Simply Sleep, Sominex, Tylenol PM, Unisom, etc.)

Basically avoid these allergy drugs and sleep aids. I was shocked when I found out about this a while back. Threw out my Nytol right away!

Information about these 2 specific OTC drugs has been available for AT LEAST 17-20 years. When I assumed care for my mom, I virtually STOPPED SLEEPING, and for the 5 1/2 years of her care, I popped pills, to sleep and to wake up.

Now, 12 years since her loss, I take almost no OTC or prescription meds. For better or worse, results are about the same.

DH has periodically taken antihistamines for pretty serious seasonal allergies, apparently unscathed, as advised by our trusted internist. 

We will be both omitting all of them or cutting to the bone.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@sidsmom , my doctor told me if you have Alzheimer’s in your family, you have a 50% higher risk of having it so heredity does play a role.  LM

@Lilysmom 

If I had a doctor throwing out statistics like that,

I would definitely ask for studies to back up that claim.

And I would ask, ‘I understand diet & lifestyle help increase

the chance of not getting it. What would you suggest I do?’

Esteemed Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I regularly take Kirkland (Costco) brand sleep aid which has the active ingredient Doxylamine Succinate.  I thankfully don't see that on the list so hopefully some will find that an adequate substitute to other over the counter sleep aids. 

I checked generic Unisom with that ingredient since I recall buying it because it was different.

This list has the name there but under the wrong ingredient.  

No no idea what that means, but you might check.