Honored Contributor

Study Says Drugs Linked to Dementia

[ Edited ]

This morning I saw a story on the cnn site that said a new study linked anticholinergic drugs to dementia. (I didn't post the link to the study because I wasn't sure if it was allowed, but if you go to the cnn site you will see the article.) 

Edited to add that since the study mentioned specific anticholinergic drugs, I didn't think it was appropriate to include the original full list of drugs mentioned earlier. As always, it's best to consult with your doctor if you are concerned. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Study Says Drugs Linked to Dementia

Got to laugh, you know you are old when this type of article has has you checking for your pills.  

Honored Contributor

These are the ones people are most likely to encounter since they are available OTC:

• Chlorpheniramine (Actifed, Allergy & Congestion Relief, Chlor-Trimeton, Codeprex, Efidac-24 Chlorpheniramine, etc.)
  • Diphenhydramine (Advil PM, Aleve PM, Bayer PM, Benadryl, Excedrin PM, Nytol, Simply Sleep, Sominex, Tylenol PM, Unisom, etc.)

Basically avoid these allergy drugs and sleep aids. I was shocked when I found out about this a while back. Threw out my Nytol right away!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Doesn't surprise me one bit!  

I've had such severe reactions to prescription meds ... that I won't take anything stronger than a Tylenol.  

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Got to laugh, you know you are old when this type of article has has you checking for your pills.  

Yes,  that's the first thing I did....LOL   OMG   Does that mean I am officially old...LOL

Esteemed Contributor

My dad didn't take any of those medicines, and he STILL developed dementia, just as his father did.

So BOTH my grandfather AND dad had dementia.

How often were the people in the study actually using these medications that developed dementia?

Were they using it every single day, or was it a few times a week, a few times a month, or a few times a year?

I'm not going to just automatically throw stuff out because of a screaming headline.

I want to know how often the "evil" medicine was used before I start running around with my hair on fire.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I'm old, so I did read through that list but whatever memory loss I already have must have other causes!

If I were on any of the prescription drygs, I would be calling my doctor fotr an appointment.  I would not stop taking the drug without that consultation.

If I were a frequent user of one or more of the OTC drugs, I would not toss those either, but I would do a writen measure of how ofen I was using any of them, and if I felt I were overdosing myself, I'd work at cutting down.  My personal  "offender" is Tylenol PM but since a 24 capsule box usually lasts me for 2 years I wonder if that meets the amounts in that study???

So many of these studies involve usage amounts that are far above what people I know use, but I will check the CNN site to see if amounts are reported.  I'd also want to see the ages of dementia onset and family health history, too.  

Honored Contributor

I think people have become addicted to the idea that a pill can fix whatever is wrong... doctor prescribes something...  our society wants the magic pill to fix the problem and they  fill the prescription and take  the medication without researching the drug for counter indications of danger... perhaps WORSE than the ailment  the reason the drug was prescibed for.    

Look at that list of drugs.... Just wow.   SCARY.

Respected Contributor

I regularly take Kirkland (Costco) brand sleep aid which has the active ingredient Doxylamine Succinate.  I thankfully don't see that on the list so hopefully some will find that an adequate substitute to other over the counter sleep aids. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think people have become addicted to the idea that a pill can fix whatever is wrong... doctor prescribes something...  our society wants the magic pill to fix the problem and they  fill the prescription and take  the medication without researching the drug for counter indications of danger... perhaps WORSE than the ailment  the reason the drug was prescibed for.    

Look at that list of drugs.... Just wow.   SCARY.

Sing it, sister!

Your post reminds me of this T-shirt I saw online.

Funny...but yet sad at the same time.

C20D15A2-BCD1-40FD-8F2E-F7477C16B2AD.jpeg