Honored Contributor

Re: Study Says Drugs Linked to Dementia

@cherry   You mean the gene for it?  It's not determinitive.  Just ups your risk a bit.  We are all going to slow down as we age.  Like I said, half of us regardless of genetics will have some form of dementia by age 85 if the statistics hold.  

Honored Contributor

Both of my parents had it. I got it late in life just like they did @Laura14 ..My thyroid doesn't work right either, so that figures in too

Honored Contributor

Oh you mean diabetes, right @cherry ?  I was thinking dementia and I am like I am talking to you all day and you're totally fine! Smiley Happy

My family is ripe with hypothyroidism too.  It runs all over one side of my family.  That's a new one on me too.  I did not realize hypothyroidism is associated with diabetes but I guess it's a hormone too and would make some sense.  I have not studied diabetes as much as some other diseases.  I am learning all kinds of stuff today from you.    

Honored Contributor

Hey @Laura14 ,

Now that I just turned 80, you tell me this! Guess I am gonna have to work harder, or longer, on my hand/eye/brain reflexes a bit more each day now. Hmmm!

As far as the "slowing down as we age" part?  Mentioned a few times in posts, and to some of my hockey skating friends, now at 80 my skating speed is pretty danged close to when I won Gold Medals in our States Winter Games, in Speed Skating, in my age group.  Now that even surprises me.

Be well now,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut   You know I have a shrine to your avatar because I want to be you, right?  Smiley Very Happy

It is wonderful people who stay active and healthy and well that show us that the real science has always been true.  Move it or lose it baby!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@@sidsmom wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@sidsmom , my doctor told me if you have Alzheimer’s in your family, you have a 50% higher risk of having it so heredity does play a role.  LM

@Lilysmom 

If I had a doctor throwing out statistics like that,

I would definitely ask for studies to back up that claim.

And I would ask, ‘I understand diet & lifestyle help increase

the chance of not getting it. What would you suggest I do?’

@sidsmom , The doctor who threw out that statistic had Alzheimer’s in his family.

That was not the end of our discussion.  Of course there are lifestyle changes one can take as is the case with many illnesses like heart disease and diabetes.  LM

Honored Contributor

Something you will likely hear a lot more about over time are slow viruses. These are viruses with either long latency periods or viruses that require certain co-infections or other stimuli to activate. Some researchers feel they're responsible for certain types of cancers, possibly multiple sclerosis, and other conditions. Identifying them and determining exactly what they do and how they're activated is something quite a few researchers are working on. When you have a virus that can sit dormant for ten, twenty, fifty years, though, doing reserch on it is a tad challenging.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think people have become addicted to the idea that a pill can fix whatever is wrong... doctor prescribes something...  our society wants the magic pill to fix the problem and they  fill the prescription and take  the medication without researching the drug for counter indications of danger... perhaps WORSE than the ailment  the reason the drug was prescibed for.    

Look at that list of drugs.... Just wow.   SCARY.

Sing it, sister!

Your post reminds me of this T-shirt I saw online.

Funny...but yet sad at the same time.

C20D15A2-BCD1-40FD-8F2E-F7477C16B2AD.jpeg

@sidsmom 

Sad but true. Taking 1 prescription drug can lead to another & another & so on.

Doctor wanted to put me on high blood pressure medication but I said no because I did not feel it was high enough to warrant it. I did some research & started using some Magnesium oil spray every night. My BP went way down. That's all I needed since I was low in magnesium. Too bad doctor's don't check this before they put people on bp medication.

From what I have read each time you take a prescription medication it causes your magnesium levels to drop more which causes you to need another medication & so on.

Yes I agree diet is also part of the problem but not all of the problem.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

That’s great you were able to dodge the medication by 

being pro-active! Wish more people had your mind-set!🌼💛

Trusted Contributor

@qbetzforreal , thank you.