Honored Contributor

Re: Study: It's harder to be thin now compared to 1980's

I see no value in this study. 

Honored Contributor

I do know people who eat healthy and exercise daily but still carry some excess weight.I think a slow metabolism is certainly real.I eat lots, and do all of the same things as my friends except I don't work as hard after the gym as some of these people and yet I am thin and they struggle to keep the pounds off.

Honored Contributor

exercise daily without fail or I feel horrible.  But what helps me a great deal is that during most of the 80's I was in my twenties married and raising a son.  So sit down dinners ect......  were the norm.

Now in my 50's I live alone and eat or not eat when I want and what I want.  Some days maybe cooked food and others just may be a piece of fruit and some cheese. 

Not cooking or being responsible for other's meals has made me thinner now then the 80's.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I agree that eating out can have horrible consequences on our diets.  My DH calls me his "canary in the mine"  because my body just can't tolerate certain things (or scents). We decided to try two very well known national restaurants that we really never had much interest in, and I chose simple (I thought) dishes.  About an hour after I ate, I felt extremely sick.  I don't tolerate thick heavy sauces or fats and I believe that both of these restaurants used hidden thick, high calorie, high caloric fats in these dishes.   I have never been able to tolerate them.  Needless to say, we've not gone back.  But how many people love the food there and make it a weekly (or bi-weekly) event?  And have no idea the amount of calories and fat they're consuming?

I agree that we are fully accountable for our actions and what we eat.... and yes, the simple "Eat less, move more".... "Calories in, calories out".... is still the only thing that works..... 

Are you really saying "don't confuse me with the facts, as I've already made up my mind"?

Clearly, you didn't read the second paragraph in the original post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

Yes, actually I did read the second paragraph:

"But the findings also underscore that weight management and weight loss aren't as simple as calories eaten versus burned. “That’s similar to saying your investment account balance is simply your deposits subtracting your withdrawals and not accounting for all the other things that affect your balance, like stock market fluctuations, bank fees, or currency exchange rates,” Kuk said.

What are those other things when it comes to weight? The authors aren't exactly sure, but they do have some theories. Kuk toldThe Atlantic that it could be a eating later, and exposure to light at night, which can mess with your sleep rhythms." combination of increased exposure to hormone-altering chemicals, the rise in prescription meds like antidepressants that can lead to weight gain, and changing gut bacteria thanks to our meat- and sugar-heavy diets. Plus, stress, 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I'm saying is that what is discussed in the second paragraph ARE THEORIES.  None of what is expressed in the 2nd paragraph are facts... theories are not facts because they haven't been proven... yet.  

So therefore, the only way to lose weight is to limit calories, up the exercise and the weight will come off.  If the weight is stubborn, look into the theories, they may have validity but as of right now.... they are not facts. 

What I was alluding to was the fact that eating out provides untold calories and fat that most people have no idea they are eating!!  

If they only had a hamburger for lunch (no fries), but that hamburger is mixed with some heavy cream and sauces and bits of bacon and the bun made with unidentified fats which can quickly turn that hamburger into a 1200 calorie nightmare and the diner has no idea... of course the weight won't come off.  To lose weight successfully every mouthful of food and beverage must be counted.  To count accurately, the dieter must know exactly what is in that food.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Of course it's harder to be thinner now-I was 35 years younger then, lol. 

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

Of course it's harder to be thinner now-I was 35 years younger then, lol. 

image.jpeg

😄😄

Honored Contributor

We are long past due understanding weight gain and obesity. 

Having battled weight all my life, I have my theories. Heridity is a factor, lifestyle is a factor, good old 'calories in/calories burned' is a factor. But with all the chemicals in our food this last generation or two, the prepared foods and all that is in them, the change in the work we do (more and more people sit all day because they don't work, or work with technology advances that don't require them to move about any longer), the serving sizes we are given in restaurants setting the new 'norm', the overabundance of food (in western society, anyway), all contribute to what is going on.

The days of blaming all people with weight issues as being just fat and lazy is going to have it's end. 

There will always be people who eat too much, and don't move enough, but the true culprits are far beyond that simple formula now.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely, think GMOs and increased pestiside use.

I've completely changed how I eat, not counted a calorie in almost 2 years and have lost 30 lbs.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cotton4me

It's harder to be thin now compared to 1980's

Says who?  Same formula for losing weight/same things that make it harder for some than for others. I will go along with it might take more "conviction/persistence/determination", but that is only if people believe what they read that says "it is harder to lose weight now compared to the 1980's".

People can easily be swayed by what I many times see as "excuses" for why it is harder now than past decades. Too many food commercials/too many fast food restaurants/and then there are some that like to blame their parents for bad genetics".

Given the determination and work ethic to accomplish this goal?  I've lost weight in about every decade going back to the 1950's and I find it no harder than I did during any of those periods, including the present decade.

This is my conclusion based on my own experiences and working with a lot of others to help them lose weight. Some succeeded, some did not. Some had good medical reasons why they found it much harder to lose and maintain weight loss.

My wife had her own struggles and I could not help her lose weight and or maintain her weight loss with any program I set up for her. For some it is a multi-complex of reasons they cannot lose and maintain weight loss, but for the majority, it can be done. It is however harder for some than for others, and that is "just the way it is", both now and back in the 1950's/1960's/1970's/1980's up till today.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)