Honored Contributor

I'm not answering questions on this, since I'm pretty loaded down in the brain with what's going on.  I'd like to hear and read about others experiences and tips, since there's no real guidelines helping a lot right now.  I just can't talk about it for now.  He's 9 yrs younger than me and no prep for any of this.  

Can you comment on PT for this, doctors, proceedures, outcomes, etc.  Feel quite alone on tackling some of this and so many questions of my own.  It's a bit overwhelming right now, trying to handle it bit by bit.

So if you want to leave a comment or statement, please do.  I can't get into a discussion on it now.  My head spins.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Strokes come in two forms. There's a clot-based stroke and a hemorrhage-based stroke. In both cases, fast treatment can help save the life and minimize the damage to the patient. Finding a stroke center is ideal. That's mostly what such facilities do, and they know how best to treat and help stroke patients.

For a clot-based stroke, a "clot buster" drug (TPA tissue plasminogen activator or similar drug) is the first line of action. That can melt away the clot and restore blood flow saving brain tissue. There's also a roto-rooter, type catheter that can be inserted to chew through a clot and remove it.

For a bleeding-based stroke, treatment can vary. If the bleed is active, they can insert a catheter to the site and plug the bleed. If the bleed has stopped on its own, then they typically resort to just sitting and watching to be sure it doesn't recur, and if the patient was on blood thinners, they'll more actively monitor or discontinue the blood thinners.

In either case, some brain damage will occur. The brain is generally hard-wired for certain parts to do certain things and the parts damaged will often fail to work as before, but brains are fairly plastic and with time and therapy can adjust and return to near normal function. You're typically looking at weeks/months of therapy and rehab to get back to a near-normal functionality again.

My mother had multiple strokes in her later years, so I've had too much experience in such matters. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that strokes lead to dementia. My mother and an uncle both had that happen to them. Surviving a stroke is the big first step. They kill a lot of people. Once you survive then it all comes down to time. In general, most people can return to a relatively normal, or new normal state over time. A lot depends on the severity of the stroke and where it occurs. Good luck. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal   I don't have any information that I can contribute.  I'm just want you to know that I wish you and yours the best of health.  It is disconcerting when faced with a life threatening event.  If you feel you need more support, maybe seeking a group that is going through your challenge would help at this time. Hopefully you have an MD that you trust, is competent, and informative.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing...sending you and yours love hoping that you will weather this storm together with peace.

Valued Contributor

Hoping and sending a prayer for a good recovery for this issue.

Honored Contributor

Just want to add I had a family member who had multiple TIAs which are "mini" strokes.

Not sure what's going on with your loved one but that was hospital care and therapy and getting back to normal fairly quickly each time.

I wish you and your loved one a fast and speedy way through. Heart

Honored Contributor

Thank you all Heart

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal I can offer only my heartfelt prayers and some advise.  When my daughter went through cancer I had so many questions and so much varying information that I got a notebook and wrote down my questions for the doctors.  I had them print out instructions, information, you name it.  I kept a binder.  Then I did research on my own.  Question anything you feel you need to.  Get answers printed out if you need to and again prayers you have the best outcome and healing. Heart

Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

@eadu4 wrote:

@qualitygal I can offer only my heartfelt prayers and some advise.  When my daughter went through cancer I had so many questions and so much varying information that I got a notebook and wrote down my questions for the doctors.  I had them print out instructions, information, you name it.  I kept a binder.  Then I did research on my own.  Question anything you feel you need to.  Get answers printed out if you need to and again prayers you have the best outcome and healing. Heart

Thank you, I did start that way right off.  Need all in one place.  Can get too crazy with all you get hit with.

Honored Contributor

I lost my best friend to a cerebral hemorrhage/hemorrhagic stroke 2 years ago.   An EEG within 24 hours showed she was brain dead; family took her off life support, but it took 5 days for her heart to stop.   

My mother has had mini strokes, which has led to her diagnosis of vascular dementia.   

My oldest daughters boyfriend had a major stroke in his late 20's, before she met him.  He apparently had quite a road to recovery with PT and occupational therapy.  He recovered better than expected, but struggles with slight memory issues.   

I send strength and best wishes your way.   

Respected Contributor

I am sorry you are dealing with the stroke of a loved one @qualitygal.  Strokes can take a lot of physical rehab to recover from. Sometimes the effects are only on one side of the body.  Sometimes speech is affected due to paralysis of one side of the face, which can improve over time.

One thing that is common for practically everyone (if not all) suffering from a stroke is a feeling of hopelessness and depression, so elevating that person's spirit and belief in their own recovery, and being encouraging around that person is extremely important. Be prepared for either excellent improvement or less-than-expected improvement as either are possible outcomes, depending upon the type and severity of the stroke. You will learn more in the days ahead, for sure. Nothing is set in stone, however. People can recover almost fully and seemingly miraculously, or recover partially.  Be prepared emotinally as best you can be for the fact that additional strokes might occur as well. 

I wish you and your loved one the best during this scary, tumultous time for both of you.