Super Contributor

Re: Strange half-dream, very real

You are not nuts! You may have experienced a form of hypnogagia, which is a state you go through between sleep and wakefulness.

When you are asleep, your body becomes somewhat paralyzed (otherwise you would be acting out what is happening to you in your dream to the extent you would in waking life). Your brain may be quite active in dream, but for the most part you are just lying there, snoring away! In a few seconds, you stop dreaming and wake up. At times tho' for unknown reasons, you get 'stuck' and those seconds get stretched and you may experience your dream extending a bit more into reality. Your brain is dreaming yet part of it is telling your body it is awake now, so you actually 'feel' physical sensations that aren't really there except in your mind. Like someone who has been hypnotized and told to act like a chicken {#emotions_dlg.scared}.

Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 ive been framed said:

You are not nuts! You may have experienced a form of hypnogagia, which is a state you go through between sleep and wakefulness.

When you are asleep, your body becomes somewhat paralyzed (otherwise you would be acting out what is happening to you in your dream to the extent you would in waking life). Your brain may be quite active in dream, but for the most part you are just lying there, snoring away! In a few seconds, you stop dreaming and wake up. At times tho' for unknown reasons, you get 'stuck' and those seconds get stretched and you may experience your dream extending a bit more into reality. Your brain is dreaming yet part of it is telling your body it is awake now, so you actually 'feel' physical sensations that aren't really there except in your mind. Like someone who has been hypnotized and told to act like a chicken {#emotions_dlg.scared}.

Fascinating! Thank you!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

It was just a disturbing dream. Did you start a new medication recently? I took a medication once and "vivid dreams" was one of the side affects. I often have a dream in which I am in exruciating pain. I do have a pain syndrome, I have joint and bone pain just about every waking hour. But it's a mild pain that I can dull it with otc meds and I've learned some coping mechanisms. In my dream, the pain is always in my hips or knees and it's is excruciating. I can't even move. I think that I should get up and take some Motrin and sit for awhile....but I can't move. Eventually, I fall asleep and when I wake up, I just have my normal morning "aches" and stiffness and I know it was just a dream.

Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 chrystaltree said:

It was just a disturbing dream. Did you start a new medication recently? I took a medication once and "vivid dreams" was one of the side affects. I often have a dream in which I am in exruciating pain. I do have a pain syndrome, I have joint and bone pain just about every waking hour. But it's a mild pain that I can dull it with otc meds and I've learned some coping mechanisms. In my dream, the pain is always in my hips or knees and it's is excruciating. I can't even move. I think that I should get up and take some Motrin and sit for awhile....but I can't move. Eventually, I fall asleep and when I wake up, I just have my normal morning "aches" and stiffness and I know it was just a dream.

I am the opposite. I rarely have pain in my dreams . . . in fact in my dreams I often don't have RA at all. It's once I wake up that all the pain starts.

No, I have not started a new medication in a very, very long time. I wrote earlier which ones I take, only three, which I have taken for many years.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986