Respected Contributor

Re: Strange half-dream, very real

Ford, of course you are not crazy.

I think what you are experiencing are the side effects of prednisone. Vivid dreams are a side effect and if I were you, I would just run it by your physician and make sure that the dosage isn't too high.

As we age, medications have far more side effects because we metabolize them differently.

Take care and I hope in the future your dreams are happy ones.Smile

Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

Ford, of course you are not crazy.

I think what you are experiencing are the side effects of prednisone. Vivid dreams are a side effect and if I were you, I would just run it by your physician and make sure that the dosage isn't too high.

As we age, medications have far more side effects because we metabolize them differently.

Take care and I hope in the future your dreams are happy ones.Smile

I am only taking 6 mg of prednisone a day. That seems to be the lowest I can go. I was trying for 5 mg, but just can't get there.

My doc wants to put me on pain meds . . . not going there.

I take three meds a day . . . prednisone, synthroid, and Xanax. Every one in a while I will take a Zantac or an Aleve, depending on what's hurting bad at the time. But I keep that to a minimum of one or two a week, and many weeks none at all.

Thank you for your kind words, softraindrops . . . as usual. Smile

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 ivanatrump said:

You reference your own death a lot. Recently you posted that you count the number of years you have left in single digits. You talk about events you will not be here to witness. There have been lengthy discussions about leaving your daughters money. Now there is this half dream about your own death.

Unless you have a terminal disease and the doctor has given you a professional guess at a timeline, no one knows how long she or he will live.

I dwell on life, not death.

I think that's wonderful. Good for you.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

A very smart person told me once that dreams were wishes.

Perhaps you wish that when you die that it is peaceful, as it was in your dream.

That's a good thought. Thanks, Kitty Smile

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 phoenixbrd said:

Ford...we all question our sanity at times, if we are sane. I believe that only we can interpret our dreams because they are reflective of our personal lives. Death also means rebirth, so perhaps there are wonderful changes taking place in your life and you "felt no fear"....only you would know. Many people would love to have vivid dreams as they can provide insight. Enjoy your dreams!

My dreams are always vivid . . . I think that's why sometimes I think they are real. I have always remembered them for a while, all of my life. I have one daughter who dreams as I do, the rest of them say they don't dream. I think they are just very deep sleepers.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 Harpa said:
On 9/28/2014 Ford1224 said:

I have had the car crash dream, the falling off a cliff dream and never reaching the bottom, and even that someone is going to shoot me or attack me. I usually wake up from those dreams before I die. And these dreams do upset me.

This dream was so different, so unlike any of the other types, that I was convinced this very benign change going on inside my body was that I was actually dying. I remember many thoughts, even though it only lasted seconds, maybe a minute. I remember thinking "so this is how you really die in your sleep," things like that.

And I was not screaming or afraid at all, I was very accepting in just waiting for the unconsciousness to happen. I was surprised when it didn't.

I have also heard that one cannot dream they have died when they are sleeping. They always wake up. That was true for me until this one, which was so different. And, obviously I did not die. However, thoughts of it are certainly invading my subconscious . . . I think ever since the insurance company put me in the "near death" category.

Thank you for your responses. It proves we cannot control our subconscious . . . it will do what it will do.

If you shared this on the Board before, I have missed it. Don't let anyone rob you of the peace that I know you must have! Especially in light of that beautiful Philippians verse that is in your signature line.

On the other hand, (I say this gently) I'm not so sure that we cannot keep everything in subjection, even our subconscious, which is a conscious effort.

Insurance companies are there to sell policy and are trying to get the highest premiums possible.

Still, on another hand, maybe through them & your dreams you are getting a wakeup call to take as good care of your health as possible.

I am trying, Harpa . . . thank you.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

have heard that dreams like this .

I wish I could remember what causes them as well as what they are called. Have heard you should write these dreams down. there are books on the market that explain all these weird dreams.

Living here on the east coast we get a radio station WOGL, and every month they do have a famous lady person who has written several books on dreams and what these dreams mean.

Super Contributor

On 9/28/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 9/28/2014 ivanatrump said:

You reference your own death a lot. Recently you posted that you count the number of years you have left in single digits. You talk about events you will not be here to witness. There have been lengthy discussions about leaving your daughters money. Now there is this half dream about your own death.

Unless you have a terminal disease and the doctor has given you a professional guess at a timeline, no one knows how long she or he will live.

I dwell on life, not death.

I think that's wonderful. Good for you.

I made an honest observation and you were rude to me because??????????

Honored Contributor

My dreams were never vivid until I started a particular medication. Now they are always vivid. I dreamed I was lifting my five year old niece, and I could actually feel the heaviness in the dream. You are not crazy. Sometimes, my dreams are so much like a movie, I want to keep sleeping to finish the dream.

Trusted Contributor

Dreams sometimes incorporate things we are worried about or preoccupied with. I know you've shared a lot of problems with health and aging lately, so dreams about illness or death wouldn't seem surprising. Probably your subconscious mind working through some of those issues while you sleep.