Honored Contributor

Re: Stop putting labels on my produce

@AuntMame wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

If you wash your produce like you ought to, it's just another part of cleaning the item to take off the little sticker.  I have lost a lot of manual dexterity due to RA and even have joint damage in my fingers, and I find it's easy enough to either stick your nail into the item and peel it, or use a sharp knife.  

I don't see the problem for either young or old, healthy or disabled (of which I am the latter two).

Those stickers tell you whether the item is organic or not, too.  Organic produce numbers begin with "9."

My DH is visually impaired and can neither see them nor feel them. My mom has severe arthritis in her hands and can't bend or control her fingers enough to remove them. 

@AuntMame 

You made a point of copying my post, which I only just saw.  If you wanted me to see it sooner, then you might want to use the notification feature, i.e., @Homegirl.

That being said, I am sorry your family members have these difficulties, but it would seem that since they do, they wouldn't do either the shopping or the food preparation, so it likely doesn't matter whether there are stickers or not.  Wouldn't someone else would prepare their meals or snacks?  Or at least get the food ready for them so they wouldn't have to worry about it?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I don't mind the stickers; they make it easy to self-scan.  Usually they wash off fairly easily, though one is maddeningly stubborn from time-to-time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the grand scheme of things, labels on produce ranks really low on my list of things that bother me...in fact, it doesn’t even make the list. How else will you know what type of apple you are buying?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like knowing where the item comes from because I won't buy certain items from certain countries but there HAS to be a better way to adhere them to the fruit/veggie etc.   My worst was (after cleaning, thinking that the water would loosen the sticker) but instead I couldn't get them off a half dozen apples and had to cut them off the apples, which left eventual brown spots.  The stickers where I am do not have the little "pull tab" which makes getting them off far easier.....  They aren't the end of the world, but they are an irritant.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Farmers markets are one option but keep in mind-there have been investigations into SOME of the markets where the "farmer" didn't grow the produce but purchased them from wholesale markets (including rejected produce from those wholesale markets).

Those investigations also included honey and sauces.

The investigations continue in the USA and Canada.

Years ago I grew most of our veggies and we had grapes and raspberry bushes, too.

But I would fail miserably growing corn and went to a local farmer who literally picked the ears while you waited.

Same with strawberries-a pick you own farm.

I get supporting local farmers but everything isn't always honest.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I'm just waiting for the first "sticker remover" on QVC!