Honored Contributor

Re: Stop putting labels on my produce

I think I should tell you all that I read that these labels are edible. 

Honored Contributor

My produce doesn't have any labels. Because I only buy locally grown. Our produce is so superior in taste to the absolute tasteless grocery store veges and fruit! I'm even able to buy fresh produce in the winter where I live. Yippee!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I don’t angst about it, but always wonder about the sticky glue left behind. Especially on organic produce.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Go to snopes dot com and read about it. 

It's not that they're really edible. It's just that eating one or two won't harm you.  They're not food-grade. They're paper and glue. 

Honored Contributor

If you wash your produce like you ought to, it's just another part of cleaning the item to take off the little sticker.  I have lost a lot of manual dexterity due to RA and even have joint damage in my fingers, and I find it's easy enough to either stick your nail into the item and peel it, or use a sharp knife.  

I don't see the problem for either young or old, healthy or disabled (of which I am the latter two).

Those stickers tell you whether the item is organic or not, too.  Organic produce numbers begin with "9."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I like the stickers, especially for onions, since the produce often gets mixed together at the store.  I hate getting a sweet onion when I needed an ordinary yellow or brown, or e en moreso the reverse.   Since you peel the onion, taking it off isn’t an an issue. For other produce, like peppers and zucchini, I just cut them off and don’t even play around with trying peel.

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Ha! 

Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

If you wash your produce like you ought to, it's just another part of cleaning the item to take off the little sticker.  I have lost a lot of manual dexterity due to RA and even have joint damage in my fingers, and I find it's easy enough to either stick your nail into the item and peel it, or use a sharp knife.  

I don't see the problem for either young or old, healthy or disabled (of which I am the latter two).

Those stickers tell you whether the item is organic or not, too.  Organic produce numbers begin with "9."

My DH is visually impaired and can neither see them nor feel them. My mom has severe arthritis in her hands and can't bend or control her fingers enough to remove them. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

The stickers can be a pain to remove.  At least in my area there is a code number on it. 

This is entered by the cashier so that the correct price is charged!

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I’m sick of peeling labels off my fruits and vegetables. I just finished peeling a label off a red bell pepper. 

Shop at your local farmers' market.  Problem solved.