Respected Contributor

Re: Stomach Flu Virus is going around

Thank you all for your continued well wishes.

My neighbor is getting better, and we are so relieved.

The meds our Physician gave her were not for the stomach flu because that sort of has to run its course with help of otc items like emetrol, pepto bismol, black tea, pedialyte, and perhaps even something stronger to really stop the runs, although for me and my husband all that works is lomotil by prescription. (It is best to hold off and let it run its course to clean out the system, but sometimes too much....... is just too much).

She got a prescription for something else she needed to take daily.

We appreciate greatly all your suggestions and also having cared for my beloved Mother for so many years, we always keep a good load of necessities including surgical gloves, face masks, chucks, and other supplies.

We also always keep plastic knives forks and spoons on hand along with various sizes of paper plates. We keep take out coffee cups to and buy them in bulk.

Lysol spray and plenty clorox, and clorox wipes to sanitize as needed we always have at the ready.

We now have my neighbor on the Brat diet, very small portions, and thank goodness the food is staying down.

We are always washing our hands with plenty soap and very warm water, and still use a hand sanitizer with alcohol.

My husband and I are feeling good with no complaints, and we do believe the Almighty watches over care givers, and those suffering, so for that we are extremely grateful.

We will keep her with us for at least 5 extra days to ensure she is back to her normal fun loving kind peppy self. One thing I must say she has a great sense of humor even when really miserable and keeps us laughing no matter how badly she may feel. She always tries to look at the bright side, and always says what we say which is "Thank God because it could be worse".

Respected Contributor

On 2/10/2015 jump4joy said: How sweet of you to help your neighbor. Where about do you live? I was thinking ( and hoping) that the flu was slowing down some. It has been a rough flu season for sure. Guess it is worse now in certain areas of the country. Stay well. Hope your neighbor improves quickly.

This is not the flu you are referring to.....

The Truth About Stomach Flu

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/the-truth-about-stomach-flu

It’s not really the flu, but gastroenteritis.
By Amanda Gardner
WebMD Feature

If your child suddenly has an attack of diarrhea and vomiting, and he complains of a stomachache, you may think to yourself, "stomach flu."

No, not really.

What's often called "stomach flu" is gastroenteritis, an infection of the stomach and intestines. The flu, or influenza, is different. It causes sore throats, runny noses, and general aches and pains. It rarely causes stomach problems.

Viral infections are the usual cause of gastroenteritis. Bacteria can sometimes bring it on.

The sickness usually passes in about 10 days without medication. The first few days tend to be the worst, but you can take steps to help your child get through this tough time.

Respected Contributor

On 2/10/2015 northernlights said:

Hi Adore, you are so kind to help her, and I hope that she feels better, very soon.

These kinds of viruses are so nasty.

It has been a long time since I have had one of these, but I remember the last time that my husband had one. He was sick for a couple of days, just like your doctor said.

I had to go out to the store and get some gentle things for him to eat. I think that I got some "Gatorade" for him, but you are right-"Pedialyte"-is a great choice, too.

I will have to remember that for myself in the future, in case I need it.

God bless you, for taking such great care of her. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Northernlights,

Pedialyte is preferred over Gatorade since Gatorade has lots of excess amounts of sugar, which actually worsens diarrhea.

Also cola syrup from the drugstore is wonderful to curb nausea, and for adults it is 2 tablespoons over some crushed ice to be sipped slowly.

Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2015 Dell said:

I have had this bug or whatever you call it since January 31st. I missed work February 2nd - 4th. I have eaten bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. My system was starting to run I thought correctly and then had issues again. I graduated myself to protein too quickly and doing the above mentioned foods again. It totally wipes one out that is for sure. I will add yogurt tomorrow and then maybe some solid foods like starchy vegetables on the weekend. When I watch TV commercials showing restaurant foods it is making me so hungry for foods other than what I have limited myself to eating. LOL

So sorry you also came down with this Dell.

It is truly awful and can really become very dangerous and fatal if not watched carefully, and the person is kept well hydrated, and seen by a Physician or goes into the Hospital.

Respected Contributor

For those who may not be able to buy Pedialyte until morning when the stores open you can also make your own and here is the recipe link:

http://clearingmyemptynest.blogspot.com/2009/02/oral-rehydration-solution-homemade.html

For those who are the care givers disinfect all areas touched or sat upon very often, wash bedding and handle with surgical gloves and add clorox to the wash.

For care givers wear a face mask.

Keep washing hands with plenty of the warmest water you could stand with soap.

Anyone alone should not try and deal with this themselves, especially if they have other medical issues and their immune system may be compromised from other dilemmas, or also compromised just from aging.

Valued Contributor

Your neighbor is lucky to have you!

You are one of those very special people and I hope you know it!

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

On 2/13/2015 Firefly3 said:

Your neighbor is lucky to have you!

You are one of those very special people and I hope you know it!

Thank you!

Thanks for that lovely reply.........and I believe everyone should care about the elderly, especially if they know that they have no one else who does.

I call my neighbors who are alone when we are not traveling, to check on them, and they know our schedule, so if we are home and someone needs help they can call or just come over.

My beloved Mom was the Dr. Mom of the neighborhood and grew special Greek herbs in her large garden and knew old time tested proven Greek remedies from our ancestors which cured so many things, but then the Greeks invented medicine so I know those ancestral medical remedies definitely worked.

Of course the soil was really clean back then and we did not have all the junk we have in it now with, especially all the environmental pollution issues and fertilizers.

Trusted Contributor

You're an angel!

Respected Contributor

On 2/13/2015 Irish1210 said:

You're an angel!

Thanks Irish that is such a lovely thing to say.

Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2015 Mindy D said:

Try to use paper towels to dry hands, washing hands frequently. I would even use paper plates, bowls, cups and utensils. Lysol door handles. Glad to hear there are still kind hearted people in the world. Real homemade Jello tastes much better than the ready made kind.

Thank you so much and we made her jello and she was able to keep it down.