Respected Contributor

Re: Still in pain from wipeout in ice in Feb! Normal or not?

@Q4u wrote:

I fell on my tailbone in my 30's and I remember it taking FOREVER to heal, if I remember right, I cracked it and it was about a year to feel completely better.  Not much they can do except tell you if it's been cracked but at least an X-Ray can tell you.... it is very painful~! Good luck with it, but do get it X-Ray'd....  Woman Wink

I also broke my tail bone. It took a year as well. I remember it hurt to sit down, especailly on hard surfaces.

Esteemed Contributor

Bite the bullet and see an orthopedic doctor. I fell like you. It turned out initially to be a fractured tailbone, which is a slow healer, but I was not in the same level of pain you are this many months later. Also, they detected that the force of the fall caused a vertebra in my spine to slip forward, permanently out of place. That required different treatment. Good luck with getting a look at it.
Honored Contributor

Fractured tailbones are very common and very painful at times, esp. in rainy weather.They take a long time to heal. As far as I know they don't require any treatment. When I fell rollerskating as a teen and broke my tailbone it took a long time and my Mom would give me a hot water bottle to sit on when it was hurting me. It served 2 purposes - something soft to sit on and the heat helped the pain. Has it been x rayed? I'm sure the older you are the longer it takes to heal.

Regular Contributor

A hard fall that had me land on my tailbone STILL hurts on occ many years later. Theres nothing they can do for a cracked tailbone/coccyx. But I agree, if you haven't seen a doctor yet, go and have it checked. 

Esteemed Contributor

I fractured my tailbone back in the 1970's, which was not an uncommon injury for those that played ice hockey. Hockey gear in that era had minimal protection for that part of the body.

I was still able to skate and play, but it included having some serious pain, when moving the body certain ways in the skating motion. Also did all I could to keep from falling on that area again. Unfortunately, not always successful at doing so.

Doctors had little to offer back in that era of time. I fortunately did my own research and did find that ice-ice and more ice made it more bearable to sit. 

I can tell you that even to this day there are times if I sit down on a harder surface  wrong? I get like a electrical shock going up my body, but only lasts a few seconds. I have had tons of injuries from many different sports related activities ovef the years, and deep, deep bone injuries seem to be the ones that seem to linger on forever.

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I feel your pain, I really do. I slipped and fell back on Sept 3rd of 2014, going on 11 months now and boy did I ever hurt myself bad. I immediatley went to the er, they gave me an xray, 2 presciptions and sent me on my way. Two months passed and I still could narely walk, the pain level was still at #9 out of 10. Went back to my doctor and told her I wasn't getting any better at all, she gave me two more prescriptions and sent me on my way. Still again two more months went by, still not one bit better so i asked everyone here on this forum what should i do, they all said, "go see an orthopedist". So the very next Monday I called to get a referral for an appointment with an orthopedist, had to go see my regular doctor again to get one. 

I went, walked in and told her I wasn't getting any better, I asked for a referral for an orthopedist, she looked right at me and said, "what can they do for you that I can't".

She didn't give me any referral, she suggested I have a shot put in my knee, so since she's the one in charge I went along with it. My leg hurt worse after the shot in my knee. The pain level went back up to a 10.

Two more months went by and by now I'm cussing at my husband everyday just out of frustration of having no relief from this terrible pain. I called the doctor's office once again, went back in and this time she sent my for physical therapy. I went dutifully for 7 sessions and then they said there was nothing more they could do for me.  

Here I am now going on 11 months and I still cannot walk without constant pain, my leg will not straighten out all the way. I guess I get to live with this for the rest of my life all because my doctor wouldn't send me to an orthopedist, according to her I didn't need one.

What I'm trying to say is I guess pain this long of time is normal. 

Honored Contributor

My sister lost her balance and fell backward in a canoe years ago. I remember it taking her months and months, if not years to recover.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't stop pursuing an answer until you've had X-rays and MRI. My sister was a very active and physically fit 38-year-old doing jumping jacks one day when she heard and felt a pop in her neck. Still hurt the next day so she went to a neurologist who simply put her in a neck brace (no films of any kind). Five days later she was no better so went to her chiropractor who wouldn't do anything until he saw X-rays. Took them and told her not to move, she had a fractured spine and her life was at risk. Called for an ambulance to take her directly to the hospital and had surgery the next day. It's your body, nobody is going to know better about it than you, so demand answers, escalate care as far as you need to.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:
I wouldn't stop pursuing an answer until you've had X-rays and MRI. My sister was a very active and physically fit 38-year-old doing jumping jacks one day when she heard and felt a pop in her neck. Still hurt the next day so she went to a neurologist who simply put her in a neck brace (no films of any kind). Five days later she was no better so went to her chiropractor who wouldn't do anything until he saw X-rays. Took them and told her not to move, she had a fractured spine and her life was at risk. Called for an ambulance to take her directly to the hospital and had surgery the next day. It's your body, nobody is going to know better about it than you, so demand answers, escalate care as far as you need to.

That is a scary story Maggie. I am glad your sister is ok.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't want to scare you, but my friend's young son fell on his tailbone and he developed cancer there after a bad fall.

Please go see a doctor and have it checked out thoroughly just to make sure.

~Live with Intention~