Honored Contributor

Re: Stevia and diarrhea

[ Edited ]

I actually like the taste of erythritol and it would be the only artificial sweetener which I would ever consider taking. But, as I mentioned earlier, erythritol makes me really thirsty and I find that disconcerting. If it weren't for that I would still be using it because I have not  had any other problems with it, like diarrhea I'm having with the current stevia product I'm using now.

Esteemed Contributor

I am going to be the odd (wo)man out, but I don't care for the taste of any artifical sweetner, so I prefer to use real sugar.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

I found that has the worst after taste,

That happens when too much is used.  You only need a smidgen.

nope .  the next time I tried a bit, it's gross

Honored Contributor

I have to agree about the bitterness, too. @jackthebear  I think some brands are worse than others and it doesn't have anything to do with how much you're using either.

Esteemed Contributor

Believe "sugar substitute" is accurate , not artificial sweetener.

@SilleeMee wrote:

But I thought stevia was not an artificial sweetener...it's made from the stevia plant.

Honored Contributor

I use a lot of stevia. Never had that reaction to it.  

But, I  can not do sugar alcohols like  sorbitol or any of the  "TOLS".  They give me really bad  bouts of running to the bathroom. 

Honored Contributor

I have not had that problem with using it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

That's a very common complaint with stevia and with other sugar substitutes.

Esteemed Contributor

This thread's been on my mind all day. I know sorbatal gives me severe diarrhea, worse than my chemo. Ugh!

Just remembered I bought stevia at Aldi last year, and ended up throwing it in the trash while it was only half gone. Don't recall what it did to my gut, but i remember it was balky about dissolving.

Used it for making lemonade. It just wasn't as good tasting as the sugar substitute I usually used. Won't buy stevia again.

@SilleeMee 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

The ingredient Truvia mixes it's Stevia with it Erythritol.  You might check to see if your Pure Stevia is truly 100% Stevia or mixed with another -ol  rather than Erythritol.  One benefit of erythritol is that, because most of it is absorbed by the small intestine it does not typically cause some of the unfortunate laxative effects that are associated with other sugar alcohols.

Erythritol is also considered a natural ingredient as it is found naturally in some fruits and other foods.

@Icegoddess 

It causes diarrhea in me. LOL!!! I just tried the Built Bars which have Erythritol in them. I only ate 3 bites.

@Nightowlz, could it be another ingredient?  I don't know what exactly is in Fiber One bars, but I've heard more than a couple of people say they can't eat those, but I never had a problem with them.  I have hypothyroidism which one of the symptoms is constipation, so diarrhea is rarely a problem for me. In fact, I add whole flax seeds to my morning yogurt to help keep things moving.  I know it works since if I stop doing it things start backing up.

@Icegoddess 

I don't know what other ingredient it would be. I'm also hypothyroid. I eat a lot of fruit so I usually don't have the constipation problem like my sister. She says she's lucky if she goes to the bathroom once per week. I don't think so. I would be miserable. I also make smoothies that I put organic psyllium powder in.

Here is the label from the Built Bar Chocolate Mousse.

Built Bar.PNG