Honored Contributor

Does anyone else have this problem with stevia? 

I recently bought some pure stevia extract powder and use a tiny bit, maybe 1/16 tsp in my oatmeal for breakfast. Then an hour later the belly starts gurgling and I have to head to the bathroom!  I've never had that happen before with other brands of stevia. I'm wondering if it's the brand of stevia powder that is is giving me this problem...??

Honored Contributor

Tried to use it on many ocassions and I had to same reaction

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

This is a common complaint with using any kind of artificial sweetener since the beginning of time. I am a diabetic and gave up using any kind of sweeteners long ago. I hate the aftertaste of anything artificial!!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

This stuff makes my tummy bloat.  So I try to avoid sugar for several reasons, and tummy gets even bigger!

Honored Contributor

But I thought stevia was not an artificial sweetener...it's made from the stevia plant.

Honored Contributor

I use Truvia all the time and never have a problem with it. Of course, Truvia is a mixture of stevia and another ingredient because pure stevia is so sweet it could be hard to use in it's pure form.  I do remember many years ago before you could buy stevia as a sweetener and could only buy it in health food stores getting it in a liquid form.  I don't know if it was pure or was mixed with something else, but it only took llike one or maybe 2 drops to sweeten my tea.  Never had a problem with that either.  

Honored Contributor

Look at the ingredient list on your Stevia.  Sometimes it contains sugar alcohols which are problematic.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Look at the ingredient list on your Stevia.  Sometimes it contains sugar alcohols which are problematic.

The stevia I'm using has no sugar alcohols. It's 100% stevia extract.

Honored Contributor

The ingredient Truvia mixes it's Stevia with it Erythritol.  You might check to see if your Pure Stevia is truly 100% Stevia or mixed with another -ol  rather than Erythritol.  One benefit of erythritol is that, because most of it is absorbed by the small intestine it does not typically cause some of the unfortunate laxative effects that are associated with other sugar alcohols.

Erythritol is also considered a natural ingredient as it is found naturally in some fruits and other foods.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stevia and diarrhea

[ Edited ]

The stevia I am using is 100% pure stevia extract.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has the diarrhea from 100% stevia.