Esteemed Contributor

Stent left in after removing kidney stone

My 37 yr old daughter had a rather large kidney stone removed last Friday. They left the stent in while she heals.

I was with her yesteday and she is in alot of pain in her lower back....and she can take alot of pain because she has Crohns

She is supposed to have it in for 2 weeks. I told her to call the Dr, but she said when she talked to the Nurse, she got the impression that she was just after more pain meds

Is this type of pain normal? Should she ask to speak to the Uroligist directly? could it have moved?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stent left in after removing kidney stone

@Nataliesgramma , I don't know about the stent but I just had a bout of kidney stones for the first time a month ago.  I hope your daughter pursues this with the doctor.  How awful to be dismissed with the blanket assumption she is after pain meds.  I would be looking to contact someone else to investigate this issue.  Don't give up.  LM

Honored Contributor

From the instrumentation, scopes and infection/inflammation,patients may have pain.  The stent reduces that pain but there may still be pain.  However, if the pain persists after a few days, it would be a good idea to contact the physician.  Is your daughter running temperature?  Sometimes the pain from stone removal can simulate the stone itself, but it should dissipate over a few days, particularly with a stent.  Stents were meant to reduce the pain.  However, that is not always the case.  I would ask to speak to the doctor about the symptomatic postop pain she is having and also about the nurse insinuating she is drug-seeking.  

Honored Contributor

I think she needs to ask her Dr. My Sll has bladder cancer ,and she was given a stent , It did cause her some discomfort

Respected Contributor

If she is still in pain, tell her to call the doctor again, but this time, insist on speaking to him.  I've gotten different responses in the past when talking to the doctor as opposed to talking to the nurse.  Good luck to her.

New Contributor

I to have had kidney stones removed surgically and have had a stent in. The stent made it feel light I had a UTI pain medication did't really help a heating pad did and staying off my feet.

Valued Contributor

One summer I had three kidney stone surgeries in 8 weeks. (It was not a fun summer). Each time I had a stent  put in for about 7-10 days afterwards. It is to help with the healing and to help with allowing any other debris from the surgery to come out. 
They are not comfortable at all. I am usually very active but a big trip for me was to go from the couch to the washroom and then sit down again. I had things planned but each time it was not possible to attend these events it was awful. I have fibromyalgia so I am used to pain but this was a different type of pain. I hopw it isn't too painful when they take it out for her. All the best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I passed my kidney stone. And I only dealt with a kidney stone once. So I want you to know I am a novice. After I passed the stone I still had a bit of pain. Because passing the stone irritated the tubes as it went through. And there was blood in my urine. I was only dealing with a small stone and no surgery. 

I can't help but think, since she was dealing with the pain of the large kidney stone, operated on to remove the large kidney stone and then a stent left in. That her body has had alot of pain from the kidney stone, removal of the stone and the stent inserted. Her body has had alot going on and it can be painful as she heals. 

It can't hurt to call the Doctor's office again and have her concerns addressed.

Honored Contributor

To be fair, you don't really know what the nurse was thinking.  Your daughter should call the surgeon's office back and ask to speak to to the surgeon or request that he call her back asap.  The surgeon can assess whether her level of pain is normal or not and advise her on pain control.  

Respected Contributor

my wife had the stent put in a few times and she said the pain from the stent was even worse than the kidney stone itself and one of the times she had the precedure done and stent put in that night she was running a fever and by the next morning her fever was 104 and i called our regular doctor and they told me dont drive her to hospital call rescue ecause thats a dangerous temp. well she had sepses. excuse thats use my spelling. it get infected and thats ow she got sepses. so i high temp mesn go to hospital. i can be deadly. im not tring to scare you im just telling you about her experients.