Honored Contributor

Re: Stationary bike suggestions....

@hckynut wrote:

• @tansy wrote:

@hckynut   Did you buy your True recumbent through their website?  The bike looks good but the lower end model is 2k.  

Hi there @tansy 

I bought mine from a friend that owns an equipment store. It was a 2017 top of the line, and I bought it in 2018. It had been sold, but the man that bought it never used it. He decided to upgrade to the 2018 model that had different features.

He gave me the new equipment warranty and delivered it to my home for $995. I couldn't pass up the deal even though I wasn't planning on spending near that much to upgrade from my old ProForm. The list price for a brand new same model True, which was then a year old model, was $1995/2k. Had no idea what the new, upgraded top model of the True retail list was, when I bought mine.

Met this guy when his store sponsored a lot of 5k and 10k Road Runs for many years. We were/are friends pretty much just as runners, and my buying most of my gym equipment from him. He has saved me thousands of $$$ over a few decades with my well equipped home gym. Pays to have friends in certain businesses.

Hope you are doing well,

hckynut(john)

You got a sweet deal then, @hckynut.  I’m going to see if any of the sports stores around here sell that particular brand.  

I am doing well, thank you...feeling better than I have in a while after dropping off some weight😊

Valued Contributor

I bought a Nordictrack SL728 recumbent bike over 10 years ago.  I tried several in the store until this one had what I wanted and the seat was comfortable.  This time of the year a lot of people are clearing out exercise equipment and may find a good deal.  Think I paid probably almost 600. for mine but then nordictrack sent the wrong bike, upright, and gave me 100. off the price of the recumbent.  I needed one I could walk through because my knees were so bad.  This was an easy entry.  Bought the additional adapter to plug it in.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

Nothing wrong with ProForm Recumbents, at least not my very old one. It lasted without problems, and with heavy/ high tension use, for about 20 years. The resistance pads finally were not working as they should via the 10 Auto setting programs.

My equipment store friend sent his machine tech out and he told me this. If he could find the parts they would not be cheap. That is when I decided it would be best to buy a new one.

He was the one that told me about the returned True Recumbent. It was sold and delivered to 1 of the good customers, but he never used it. Decided to buy the newer model. So, my friend, the store owner, deducted the Service Call price from my price for the new True, which still had all the tags on it. He told me, though it was never used, it was sold new. It is not legal to sell AS NEW any machine that was previously sold. It has to be sold AS USED equipment, thus my great bargain.

I still use my very old ProForm. I set it only at the highest tension, which on this model is a 10 resistance level. I use it with 1 leg(pedal) only, to build and maintain my quad(skating muscles) which not only help support the knee, but are the primary muscles used for ice skating.

I have nothing but good to say for the ProForm devices I have bought and used for hard usage. I think a person can find 1 that would suit them well, and in their price range.

As far as elevating one's Heart Rate? I had no problem getting my HR to it's Maximum with my old ProForm even some of the automatic functions no longer work correctly.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  you got a great deal on the 'new' bike!....I am waiting for cooler weather so I can put our bike (and heart) to the test....

DH and I don't use the bike like you do, but at least we're exercising!!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom 

Thank you for your post. Many exercisers have the false belief that bike riding, whether stationary or outdoor type are totally safe for the knees. While running has impact, it is not the only reason for any joint injury, more specifically the knee.

All the points you mention about non impact/non weight bearing exercises I hope those reading it are heeding what you have said in your post. Impact exercises certainly bring body alignment forward, starting from the bottom of one's feet, all the way to the top of the head. Feet can, and often are, what causes ankle/knee/hip/lumbar and cervical injuries, throw in leg length discrepancies, and major problems can and do occur.

Thanks again for adding your very important input to this thread.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

"at least we are exercising!!"

That's what counts. Not what I or anyone else says they are doing. Moving the body is what helps keeping the body's ability to move.

My best to you and your husband.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We purchased this from HSN.  At that time there was $100 off special.  I use it everyday.  My husband uses it too.

ProForm® 325 CSX Recumbent Bike with 24 Workouts

672-838

ProForm® 325 CSX Recumbent Bike with 24 Workouts

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 

Looks like a pretty good one to me. From the pix the seat looks good and it certainly sounds like it has many different programmed workouts. It says "heart rate monitor" and I am guessing it is not a chest worn Heart Rate Transmitter! 

My expensive True model came with a Polar Chest Heart Rate Monitor, but it also has the hand grip monitor. None of my 4 machines with "hand grip monitors" read even close to my actual heart rate. My Treadmill,  at my higher Heart Rates, is 22 Beats Per Minute off of my actual HR. A 142 BPM reads at 164 BPM, not good, especially for one that has had 2 heart attacks.

Same with my old ProForm Recumbent/NuStep and my new True. I only use what is accurate, or I would check my pulse using my fingers. For me, accuracy is an absolute, and of my weeks and months in the hospital? They never checked my HR with a Hand Grip, always attached the 8-12 leads to my chest. 

I see this item number now list for $499. Would have to try one to really know the full story. I didn't even buy my "bargain True Recumbent" without going to the store and giving it a 20 minute test ride.

Enjoy your ProForm.

hckynut

hckynut(john)